Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

Das Steinkopf
On 1/28/2023 at 10:40 AM, railsquid said:

I think we've seen this one before; it's inspired by the Chuo Main Line, which was originally single track but has been doubled over the years, so has a lot of sections where the running lines wander away from each other.

I was the one that originally found it a few years back now, it's nice to see how the layout has progressively evolved over the years, of late the owner seems to be more focused on videoing stock that he has recently purchased rather than building.

With the upper line that is run by the private railway the line goes into a tunnel and comes out of another tunnel where the line is to be extended in the future.

• Like 1

Yunogo Miharukaku, a ryokan in Yunogo Onsen in Mimasaka City, Okayama Prefecture.

Video by Nissy Hbf

I went to Yunogo Miharukaku, a ryokan in Yunogo Onsen in Mimasaka City, Okayama Prefecture. There is a room where you can enjoy driving with a huge model train layout. Guests staying at Miharukaku can reserve a private room by making a reservation. The layout consists of 2 ground lines, 2 elevated lines, and 1 round-trip line for trial operation, with a total of 5 lines, and a realistic station modeled after JR Okayama Station is reproduced in the center. It is a very high-quality diorama layout with other detailed scenes built in. It seems that the production was mainly done by Osaka Kameya and the KCR Nishinomiya of the railroad model club. This time I used it with 8 friends, so I recorded the situation in the video. Please bring your favorite model railroad and visit us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
maihama eki

This person is back with another one. Shinjuku Station this time.

I wonder what EL wire he is using. It's got the right color. I have some that is supposed to be white, but it has a blue/purple color to it.

• Like 2
On 2/21/2023 at 3:44 PM, tossedman said:

Here are some lovely modules, Showa 30s era. This is what I'd love to model. Pretty sure it's HO scale.

Yes, they're 1/80 scale. They've featured in some Japanese magazines. They're very nice, thanks for the link!  😍 

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
On 3/22/2023 at 6:31 AM, bill937ca said:

11m x 3 m layout in Okayama.

Good to know there are rental layouts in HO as well as N. Thanks Bill!

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2

I stumbled across the Takumi Diorama Kogeisha, a workshop that manufactures and sells original railroad model structures. They produce mainly 1/80 scale structures. Sometimes modified kits and sometimes scratch built. In their words: "Takumi Diorama Kogeisha mainly produces wooden structures, but we use the right materials and paints in the right places to express the texture of wood. The pursuit of the texture of wood is profound and we will continue to pursue it. One of the features is the commitment to rust. We are also pursuing how to naturally reproduce the rust that appears in various states from various metals. Many advanced techniques have been announced for tank models and ship models, but they were quickly adopted to express natural rust."

The buildings are fantastic but very limited and very expensive. Lots of fodder for scratch building ideas though. They can be found here. https://takumi-diorama.jp  Sales are through the Sakatsu Gallery.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 2

Cool! I like how he designed the roads in Adobe Illustrator and had them printed on self-adhesive material. Modifying all those off the shelf Kato parts is great as well.

Cheers,

Todd

1 hour ago, bill937ca said:

Shin-Yukari Station  N-gauge Japanese-style Model Train  Don't know if this layout has been featured here before.  He uses Tomix Fine Track, all trains are Kato and runs DCC. Photos and detailed track plans.

https://shin-yukari.weebly.com/

Sometimes it's hard to remember where we have seen something. Search this forum for Yukari and you will find it. 🙂

This 

19 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Shin-Yukari Station  N-gauge Japanese-style Model Train  Don't know if this layout has been featured here before.  He uses Tomix Fine Track, all trains are Kato and runs DCC. Photos and detailed track plans.

https://shin-yukari.weebly.com/

Created by none other than Marc, aka JNS member @Madsing!

some of the topics he has posted on the layout and sub projects within.

https://jnsforum.com/community/search/?q=Yukari layout&quick=1&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

jeff

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf

Came across this lovely little layout a few days ago, it's amazing how much he has achieved within  6' by 3' space for the main part of the layout.

• Like 9

Ghost of Kira posted another update of his layout that models the area around Ryougoku Station that he's been working on for 20 years.

Watch from the linked time stamp to see trains running to the tunes of Johann Strauss and Richard Wagner, or watch from the start to see footage from the protoype and the design and construction.

• Like 6
MeTheSwede

The other day I was going through a bunch of layout videos I've added to a Youtube playlist and though, is any of them good enough to share here?

Then I was considering how maybe the biggest most detailed layouts aren't necessarily the most inspirational, because if something is very big and perfect it can represent a level of modeling that seems firmly beyond our reach. Smaller layouts and layouts which are cleverly designed in some way, or are estetically pleasing as a result of the way it's individual parts come together rather than as a result of superior modeling quality of said individual parts, might be more inspirational in the sense that they spurs us into doing things.

Then I realised that I think a lot of them are good and inspirational enough to be shared here and that I would like others to share more videos.

I will start with a 2700mm x 1650mm modular layout that normally lives in an IKEA wardrobe.

This is a layout presentation video. The channel also has lots of videos of trains travelling the layout and videos about the construction of the layout.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@MeTheSwede OMG Thanks for sharing. I was trying to do the same but couldn't figure out how get wide corner modules into a cupboard.

Never occurred  to me to chop of edges and make the module gem shaped.

• Like 1