Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

Train room and compact layout.

May 20, 2017

[Diary Kaz video No.177] This is a model railroad in my room. Shelves for model railroad display are all made by myself. All shelves have sliding or hinged glass doors, but they are removed during photography to avoid reflection of lighting. There are 128 HO gauge cars and 357 N gauge cars, for a total of 485 cars. The shooting date is May 20, 2017. 

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

[N gauge new layout#138] I moved the new layout to my house. (1) From dismantling the layout to taking it out

[N gauge new layout#139] I moved the new layout to my house. ② I used a screen to completely cover the room with a blue sky pattern, and put a plywood board on the

I moved the new layout to my house. ③ I installed his layout panel and did a trial run of the outer line.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
Martijn Meerts
On 1/15/2023 at 9:20 AM, MeTheSwede said:

How to not lay your track. 😆🤪

Forest railway track would like to have a word, this seem relatively straight 😄

The only thing missing is some temporary speed restrictions and a group of engineers just standing around.

And it'll be perfect!

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
On 1/15/2023 at 7:20 PM, MeTheSwede said:

How to not lay your track. 😆🤪

You should watch some videos of the Kumaden, their track standards aren't far off this.

It goes beyond than the Kumaden. You just need to pick a small third sector company and you will see trains bump up and down and shake sideways because the tracks are in dire need of maintenance. You can even see it on small local lines of JR companies, notably Hokkaido.

It's basically the same infrastructure philosophy as a American shortline (in fact the term shortline is probably applicable to the Japanese local railway scene). Slap down some cheap, bad track and keep replacing the worst bits as cheaply as you can.

gJ3gFp.jpg

(My picture, Ageki, Hokusei Line, Spring 2019)

Spiked flat bottom  on thin wooden sleepers, the classic choice for low cost railways worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weel-done rural scenes. 2700 x 1500 mm  Double main line and a minor private raileay line.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice. I like the double track splitting apart in the front, nice feel over totally parallel tracks everywhere. Trying to recall if I’ve seen something like that in a prototype, sure there is!

jeff

I think we've seen this one before; it's inspired by the Chuo Main Line, which was originally single track but has been doubled over the years, so has a lot of sections where the running lines wander away from each other.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Nice. I like the double track splitting apart in the front, nice feel over totally parallel tracks everywhere. Trying to recall if I’ve seen something like that in a prototype, sure there is!

jeff

A number of main lines in Kyushu also do this. Both the Kagoshima and Nippo lines have sections of track that split and rejoin. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, katoftw said:

Watched all 3 vids.  Didn't find where the minor track joins the double main track/s.

If memory serves correctly, it doesn't.

4 hours ago, katoftw said:

Watched all 3 vids.  Didn't find where the minor track joins the double main track/s.

Yep it doesn’t seem to, the lower level double track loop seems to be the only finished track in the second video. The loop is parallel double track in the back (station) and more split and wandering in the front.

jeff

On 1/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, Beaver said:

It's basically the same infrastructure philosophy as a American shortline (in fact the term shortline is probably applicable to the Japanese local railway scene). Slap down some cheap, bad track and keep replacing the worst bits as cheaply as you can.

gJ3gFp.jpg

(My picture, Ageki, Hokusei Line, Spring 2019)

Spiked flat bottom  on thin wooden sleepers, the classic choice for low cost railways worldwide.

A recent post on the Yokkaichi Asunarou Railway's Facebook page shows the start of a resleepering project using concrete sleepers to replace timber.

Cheers.

Mark.

https://m.facebook.com/465775446771810/photos/a.469382633077758/6550945194921441/?type=3&source=48&refid=17&__tn__=EH-R

• Thanks 1

Interesting. Apparently back in the 1990s the Hokusei Line was reworked to allow a line speed increase to 70km/h but was not able to implement it because the authorities insisted on resleepering with concrete first and no concrete sleepers could be obtained.

If concrete sleepers can now be sourced and laid then the speed increase might now be able to be made after all. The modifications to the rolling stock and signalling have already been made. This would greatly improve the competitive business performance of the line.

• Like 1