Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

MeTheSwede
10 hours ago, bill937ca said:

He says the curves are R243 and R280, but that doesn't seem to fit on 1800 x 600.  I think the yard turnouts might be R140 and therefor non-operational.  Why the Kato power pack?

2 x 280 = 560. Add the distance from the track center to the edge of the board and that makes 600. Lengthwise there's the 600 from the curves, you can see a 70 that the rail feeders are connected to and between the curves and the track pieces with the feeders there are 2x280 straight sections on either side, adding up to 1790. The extra 10 can be seen unused on the far edges of the board.

Turnouts are standard. Maybe it seemed different to you because of the 280-15 turns to get back to straight rather than the standard 541-15.

I didn't see him mention the Kato power pack in his subtitles. I guess he just had one around that he likes using.

• Like 1

The latest update of the Yufuin build has been uploaded to Youtube. 

If you’ve not already come across it, Slope Model channel has a lot of inspirational modelling.

Anyway the Yufuin station build now has canopies, more lighting and the footbridge.  Not hugely realistic with the Yufuin no Mori barrelling through at speed so a terrible, unrealistic depiction. 😂

• Like 6
Tony Galiani

Recently I posted some pictures of my small snow scene diorama.  I mentioned that I had originally planned to model a station on the Soya Main Line, Hokusei, but changed my plans after accidentally destroyed the station (on the very last construction step).

The real station closed recently and a modeller in Japan has made a model of it during JNR days which I somehow came across while browsing for info.  It is a really nice piece of work so here is a link to a short video of it.

His depiction is from the JNR era.  The version I had planned was the modern era - I spotted the station while watching a cab view ride of the Soya Main Line.  Before it was closed, only the bigger of the two sheds remained, the track was lined with bushes and small trees and the platform had mirrors and some lights.

Anyway, I think this is an neat piece of modelling and it was a a surprise to me when I found it.  I would not have thought someone else would have been inspired to model that station.

In the video notes (per Google translation) he took it to the station and displayed it on the day the station was closed.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 9
On 6/2/2021 at 6:11 PM, Kamome said:

If you’ve not already come across it, Slope Model channel has a lot of inspirational modelling.

Anyway the Yufuin station build now has canopies, more lighting and the footbridge.  Not hugely realistic with the Yufuin no Mori barrelling through at speed so a terrible, unrealistic depiction. 😂

Those platform lights are amazing! So well done.

5 hours ago, tossedman said:

Those platform lights are amazing! So well done.

Well done for finding the video of someone’s layout?

😁

I wish i could take the credit for this. It looks very well made.

Edited by Kamome
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Kamome said:

Well done for finding the video of someone’s layout?

😁

I wish i could take the credit for this. It looks very well made.

Yeah, good find, but the platform lights in the video are so well done. I likes 'em.

Newest update from 長嶋淳一.   A train that runs on a double-track diorama along a mountain stream! Imagine the Chuo East Line.

• Like 6
On 6/2/2021 at 8:11 PM, Kamome said:

That laser printer looks extremely useful. 3D printer too. 

At 10:04 he used some kind of black goo from a tube to make think struts. He just stretched it out and let it dry. Any idea what that was?

28 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

That laser printer looks extremely useful. 3D printer too. 

At 10:04 he used some kind of black goo from a tube to make think struts. He just stretched it out and let it dry. Any idea what that was?

He's using a 3D pen. It's a hand held 3D printer.

• Thanks 1

It basically extrudes melted styrene filament so you can draw in 3d. Sort of a crude 3d printer.

jeff

Having been gifted a half decent one many years ago, I can tell you they take some mastering. 

Edited by Kamome

Yeah I played with one for an hour and never really felt I figured out how I would use it for modeling. Even shaped stuff easier to make out of even materials, odd shaped polymer clay or the like is a lot easier and faster. Sort of one of those solution in search of a problem products.

jeff

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

It basically extrudes melted styrene filament so you can draw in 3d. Sort of a crude 3d printer.

jeff

The way he uses it is really clever. He stretches the filament to make a long thin rod. Perfect for making signs and pipes and things.

You can do this with your extra plastic sprews and a small flame, get the styrene hot by rolling above flame then pull fast. You can make very fine styrene threads this way and of larger diameters.

jeff

2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

The way he uses it is really clever. He stretches the filament to make a long thin rod. Perfect for making signs and pipes and things.

The filament will come out of the pen at a constant diameter. Most likely uses PLA filament.You can pick them up on Amazon for about 30 bucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice sectional layout! Interesting having the frame stick out as a nice scenery protection barrier and using the little scenery strips to cover it up when assembled. That half inch along the edge of modules has always gotten banged up on all our club sectional and ttrak modules.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 2

Thought i would share this video with everyone. It’s the layout at Kyushu Railway shop. You kind find many others by copying and pasting 

九州レールウェイショプ 

into Youtube. 

The track is all Shinohara. Stock in the glass cases on the walls is a mixture of brass, die cast and plastic from decades of Japanese model railways. It is their personal collection and not for sale but fascinating to look at. 

• Like 2
Tony Galiani

Really nice.  It looks like the interiors of the tunnels are finished so they look good for the camera car - what a great touch.  Looks like a great shop to visit.

And today, the New York Times has an article about deflation still impacting Japan.  I know this can cause problems but all I could think was - time to order more trains!

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Haha 1