Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

Ahh makes it look all so easy! But very useful to watch his process and what he uses for various details. it is very inspirational as I know all the stuff outside the 3D printing is within my current wheelhouse with some effort and practice!

I’m now going to try some more stuff cut on the silhouette and may go for a smaller low power lasercutter to start to just do thin stuff and etching and not worry about big stuff for now. I would love to cut thin ply and plastics, but that jumps into a whole Nother league on price, size, venting, etc. 

@gavino2002d is cad is a quick learning curve, 3D is a steeper one (I’ve learned it and forgotten it a few times in the last 3+ decades, but 2d drafting is always there!). I actually really enjoy doing 2d stuff and then assembling into 3D, but of course 3D printing for many details is wayyyy easier (once you have your model of course!). At some point I’ll get on 3D printing but for now my next step will be a laser cutter and more 2d as I see the best ROI for me there and what I like to do and how my brain works. I guess it’s all my exhibit modeling and woodworking have trained my brain to visualize the 3D the cut out flat 2d parts and assemble them into 3D, not go directly to 3D.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1

Awesome. I wonder if you'd consider making a thread dedicated to your laser-cutting progress. I bet a lot of people would be interested!

maihama eki

In my experience, laser cutters need a vector file. This was different for me. I ended up getting a freeware program called Inkscape to create these. I think there are more common vector graphics tools if you already have them - such as Adobe Illustrator.

• Thanks 1

Laser cutters do indeed like vector files. Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape, and Fusion 360 will all work to generate your cut files as will many more CAD programs. I use Adobe Illustrator as I get it for free through work. Inkscape is free and very popular because off that. It has a large community supporting it. There are tons of video tutorials on Youtube for all of these apps.

I've found a plugin for SketchUp that allows you to export SVG files that can be laser cut. It won't work with the free online version of SketchUp unfortunately. I used it when designing these parts that I wanted to cut on the laser but needed to fit together as a 3D form. I've been using SketchUp for the past 20 years or so and really like it. I keep trying Fusion 360 but come back to SketchUp all the time.

I've been experimenting with Shapr3D on the iPad. It's pretty cool. You use an Apple Pencil to draw with. Shapr3D is powered by Siemens® Parasolid®, the same engine that drives SOLIDWORKS. It may give SketchUp a run for its money. It can be used to produce 3D STL files and they're still developing the ability to export 2D files for laser cutting I believe. They've added a beta version for Mac. It looks promising.

I have students creating things in 2D and 3D within a month or so in my classes. It's not too hard to wrap your head around either.

Now, back to those inspirational layouts. Not sure if this has been shared yet but I love the detail. This is a part of Yoichi Miyashita's diorama world. Love the single line of rail on this layout and no fence between the rail and road.

Edited by tossedman
Had a second thought... And then another... Added Shapr3D beta link.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A Japanese home layout by a modeler from Singapore.

Camera view of the same layout during construction.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

He has lots of interesting buildings. The papercraft buildings look pretty good, I think. There's some serious building glow. It's a pity. Some paint and a few resistors would help. I'm definitely inspired by the organization of his hobby room. Look at all those tiny stacked bins!! It seems like a fun layout. 

Heh heh yeah it's my friend alright ~ Glad to see he is still using the buildings i gave him  😛

He has quite an amazing layout, and the protection cover to go along with it is great! I'll let him share more on his time in future ~  🙂

8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Look at all those tiny stacked bins!!

Those are for his Lego before model trains became a hobby ~  🙂

• Like 2
serotta1972

I thought Sammy claimed that he's the only Japanese Model railroader in Singapore.  Then again, I have never seen Sammy so maybe that's him. 😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Kamome said:

Who needs clothes when you can have trains!!😀

I was hoping he didn’t stand up there... one of those awkward zoom moment potential.

jeff

• Haha 2

I quite like the rural scenes presented here. Going to try to make me one of those fire lookout towers like he has in the onsen town.

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 6
On 3/29/2021 at 2:05 PM, serotta1972 said:

I thought Sammy claimed that he's the only Japanese Model railroader in Singapore.  Then again, I have never seen Sammy so maybe that's him. 😁

Haha yeah and there's him too~ Pretty awesome guy ~ Got to know him through one of my local sales sometime back, but hadnt been in touch much as we're both busy with work and life but oh well... Glad to see at least he's running his trains more than me!

On 3/29/2021 at 3:26 PM, cteno4 said:

I was hoping he didn’t stand up there... one of those awkward zoom moment potential.

jeff

Haha yeah but like it's 'legit' warm and humid here... like real humid, so clothes were becoming less of a thing here ~ the clothing stores are changing to hobby train stores soon i hope.

• Like 1

N gauge DCC diorama layout introduction 2021 edition  3480mm X 1500mm, 6 tatami space limit size.  Video by N gauge toshi.

His  first layout video.

His new E261 more at ground level.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

A small layout made on a cork bulletin board by a Japanese modeler, something I have done myself.  English subtitles. Video by 梶尾鉄道 Kaji's railroad room

• Like 2

Another nice layout with great scenery.   2700mm x 1500mm.

Edited by bill937ca
4 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Another nice layout with great scenery.  

It really is nice. It was posted by Tossedman on Tuesday.  😉

Das Steinkopf
On 3/31/2020 at 4:59 PM, Das Steinkopf said:

Nice Alpine based layout that I came across today when trawling for ideas, he uses a modular scenery system akin to ala "Squid" and seems to be working on future extension of the layout.

Actually I posted this layout just over a year ago, he generally puts updates on layout work every week or so if he is not showcasing his latest rolling stock acquisitions 

• Like 1

10 small layout plans

Introducing 10 small layout plans of 900 x 600 mm. In the previous video, I introduced a long-run layout plan that uses grade separation, but due to dissatisfaction with derailment and running, it is a layout plan that eliminates the gradient. The concept is "to relax while drinking coffee and watch the scenery of the model railroad running", and the basic track layout is oval-shaped endless. Enjoy 10 different plans, from simple layouts to layouts that use points.

Video by Kaji's railroad room

• Like 6
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

10 small layout plans

Introducing 10 small layout plans of 900 x 600 mm. In the previous video, I introduced a long-run layout plan that uses grade separation, but due to dissatisfaction with derailment and running, it is a layout plan that eliminates the gradient. The concept is "to relax while drinking coffee and watch the scenery of the model railroad running", and the basic track layout is oval-shaped endless. Enjoy 10 different plans, from simple layouts to layouts that use points.

Video by Kaji's railroad room

I like the idea about putting an end station inside the loop. Opens up some interesting possibilities.

I guess this would score as an average home layout. Size 1800 x 900mm. Video by 新快速電車野洲行【Nゲージ鉄道模型】.

• Like 3