Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

gavino200
On 6/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, ChibiNippon said:

Correct! The RGB lighting, and in fact the lighting and detailing in general, is excellent! However, I'm referring to the two vertical displays showing the Uniqlo animation. I will definitely be picking up a couple of these for experimentation for my own (eventual) N-scale layout.

The displays are shown off on the blog here:

https://shin-yukari.weebly.com/blog/uniqlo-store-display

I'm curious if you ever got round to trying this? It's something I'd love to do too.

Martijn Meerts
On 5/4/2020 at 12:09 PM, NX: said:

A layout with extra stuff.

Nice.. I used to make much more basic versions of this before I went DCC. Of course, there's still ways to combine this with DCC actually.

I do like the camera thing though, I'll definitely need that as well. Place some camera's in the hidden yard to make sure everything's okay, and hide some on the layout in difficult to see spots. Need to look into that, at some point, when I actually have a layout 😄

On 5/4/2020 at 7:52 PM, MichiK said:

I love this blog. Thanks for sharing. A whole new level of detailing...

He/she seems to extensively use this laser cutter: https://www.podea.net/podea-01

Anyone has experience with laser cutters? Are they more precise than 3D printers? I am considering buying a 3D printer but I am worried it would not be able to render the smallest details. 

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

You can't really compare a laser cutter with a 3D printer, unless you have a really expensive laser cutter that can rotate and everything as well. Laser cutters are design to cut / engrave in 2 dimension, they're great for cutting your own walls and such for structures, something like the Sankei kits.

For 3D printing small details, have a look at resin 3D printers. They produce really good results and they're pretty cheap. The major downside is that resin is a mess to work with, so doing quick test prints can be a bit of a pain. Resin of course also needs to cure in UV light. If you look at for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FD7DzYqts, around 7.5 minutes he'll start talking about 3D printed parts using a resin 3D printer. I've been considering getting one of these myself for a while now.

JR 500系
On 5/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, NX: said:

A layout with extra stuff

Amazing.... I think I even need a lesson on how to operate those! Wonder how much work has gone into making this!

7 hours ago, Madsing said:

Anyone has experience with laser cutters?

In my previous fablab (before I'm moving one year ago) We have 2 first price laser cutter.

The first one was the smallest and come with a broken tube, we never succed to repair it.

The second is bigger (1m by 1.5m of cutting aera approximatively) and was most successfull, but I presume the precision was best on the small one for our hobby.

The 2 one come with eletronic controller only compatible with a hacked correll draw software, and was replaced to an open-source solution.

The cutting process provide nocive smokes and you have to use an air-extraction solution. This smoke also contain a lot of humidity and if all the  cutter parts are not stainless steel  his life is short, we have to replace all the screws after less than 1 year of use.

Maybe the cutter have made progress since my experience, but one thing is sure for laser cutting as 3D printting, the quality of hardware as a price.

5 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

For 3D printing small details, have a look at resin 3D printers. They produce really good results and they're pretty cheap. The major downside is that resin is a mess to work with, so doing quick test prints can be a bit of a pain. Resin of course also needs to cure in UV light. If you look at for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FD7DzYqts, around 7.5 minutes he'll start talking about 3D printed parts using a resin 3D printer. I've been considering getting one of these myself for a while now.

Thank you for this link. It's really inspiring. And I will have a look at resin 3D printers, they look interesting.

maihama eki
16 hours ago, Madsing said:

He/she seems to extensively use this laser cutter: https://www.podea.net/podea-01

Anyone has experience with laser cutters? Are they more precise than 3D printers? I am considering buying a 3D printer but I am worried it would not be able to render the smallest details. 

I don't have my own laser cutter, but have submitted files to Ponoko for cutting.  I am happy with that arrangement.  They offer a wide variety of materials and also offer photo-etch metal processing.  I haven't done the photo-etch yet, but have certainly considered it.

Edited by maihama eki
Yavianice

DCC? Schmeescheeschee! The true model train fanatic builds their own automatic system from scratch!

Small featurette from 3Sat TV program "Auf Schienen um die Welt", where the house of a model train fanatic and electrician who, since 1953, built his layout all throughout the house and balcony, and constructed the automation from scratch. He calls the trains by phone and controls them from there, sounds etc. included. Probably one of the most impressive model train layouts I've seen, just looking at the manual automation (in the latter part of the video) with 50 km of wire and 500 m of track.

Facebook video only, sorry, but an account is not required to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=696223444466202

Edited by Yavianice
roadstar_na6

My club‘s layout also runs analogue and on a self-build block controller that operates the mainline. It allows any member to run his trains without having to worry about converting his loco to DCC

roadstar_na6
14 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

[...]

Hell no 😄 The modules however still feature huge amounts of cables and since we moved into a new building with the club some of the documents and information about the wiring got lost somehow and now there always is a little bit of guessing and trial-and-error involved when fixing some wiring 😕

Edited by roadstar_na6
tossedman
22 hours ago, Madsing said:

I have access to a good laser cutter at school and it will do amazing detail. This picture doesn't do it justice. This is a part from a long stalled project of mine, just one of many that will someday, be completed. More details are here with more laser cutting pics.

You can do much finer detail with a laser cutter than a 3D printer but they are two different animals. 3D printing is an additive process that makes 3D shapes. A resin 3D printer will do finer detail than an FDM printer which melts filament like a glue gun (but in a finer much more controlled way). But resin printing is messing around with toxic chemicals. Laser cutting is a subtractive process that makes 2D shapes. Both are lots of fun though.

spacer.png

Edited by tossedman
Had a second thought...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is the updated version of Ciudad de Gloria, the main scenic attraction on my subway and commuter railroad.

My yet to be named railroad operates new subway trains and a MetroLink commuter train. The lower level tracks are used for a stack train and an Amtrak intercity train.

Even though I did not need a span this long, I was impressed with the extra length Tomix/Tomytec truss bridge. So, I bought one in red. On the other side of the layout are Kato truss bridges. I think this bridge looks so pretty. 

20200505_095715.jpg

20200505_234957.jpg

20200505_235057.jpg

• Like 12

[Yoichi Miyashita Showa Model Workshop] Making Umezaido Signboard Building Series (3) <Part 1> Groundwork and painting  Video by RMM Models

• Like 3

From the spaghetti bowl book of layout architecture. Right off I see a Tomix power feed plug so this is Tomix track.  Video by Hiro Mika.

That is some REAL god level modelling there! It's amazing how he got those legs to move! Pretty creepy is the last guy almost got his head chopped off by the dropping stop bar after they crossed the tracks! 

By the way, he even modelled the different widths of the railroads... pretty realistic stuff indeed.... 

I also can’t figure out how he made the legs move! Or maybe it’s just shadows... is there any clue in the comments?

• Like 1

My first guess was tiny magnetic bits in the leg bottoms and the. Alternating strips of opposite pole magnets. What ever the technique it’s done at a micro scale really well. You can barely see the wires holding them up and attaching to the main belt.

Hoped the explanation was in screen text there.

jeff

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 7:41 AM, Madsing said:

Just N-gauge pedestrians crossing tracks...

This system could be also easily adapted as a pedestrian crossing, maybe even with people going both ways...

I need to study this well, because i feel an incredible urge to include something like this on my layout!

• Like 2