Japanese figurines lost at sea in shipping accident

These unfortunately sink so they won’t be a great ocean current experiment like the Nike shoes or rubber ducky containers that went overboard in the past.

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/29/134923863/moby-duck-when-28-800-bath-toys-are-lost-at-sea

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19921122&slug=1526004

but perhaps they sank over a geothermal vent or other interesting spot that an ROV will spot an army of them on the ocean bottom someday.

https://www.kqed.org/science/4001/deep-sea-garbage-caught-on-video

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I've been following this since:

A- I work in the industry

B- I have a kick-starter board game on the sea

There were a few contains of Hazmat lost overboard including fireworks and Environmentally Hazardous Substances.

This keeps coming up in my YT suggestions, their algorithm must be picking it on transportation and Japan or something.  These videos, recorded from some distance but still very clear, show a total disaster.  There are also plenty of pictures on twitter and such.  I am not particularly interested in maritime freight, but I do want to read the findings on this.  Did they encounter such a severe storm that properly secured containers were lost, or were they not fastened down correctly?  Also, is there video of the storm?  Gotta see it.

• Like 2

Most people don't realize how common container loss is, although rarely on this scale.  Even in calm weather a poorly placed box can lead to a whole stack tipping, and in the worst case can knock a whole row overboard.  Once a box starts to move crews are unable to stop it, both for safety and also for liability.   Lashing containers is usually done by heavily unionized longshoremen, and if the crew tried to fix something and the containers are still lost insurance may come after the shipping company rather than the loading port.  

Years ago on the SS Horizon Pacific we were enjoying a lovely 4th of July dinner when we noticed stack over the rear hold was improperly placed at Long Beach, leading to only gravity holding the pile down.  Needless to say, we were very careful to avoid walking on that quarter of the ship until we got to Hono and the longshoremen there could claim it as their problem.

Once boxes get damaged like this they often are declared total losses, even if some of the contents still appear good.  Usually insurance will take ownership of the remains vs the shipper trying to sell possibly damaged goods.  I've got a longshoreman cousin who has a very nicely furnished house with furniture that may or may not have come from some damaged boxes that insurance left on the dock for a bit too long at POLA....

IMG_5766.thumb.JPG.7d6c2d70fa9db6c5bcf833e8ae16ba14.JPG

IMG_4759.thumb.JPG.9bec51ebbe8fbc2a967a5b99f15ea337.JPG

• Like 7