Bank Robbery

Guest ___

My mother was the teller that was robbed yesterday. She had just got back from lunch and installed her till when this black dude in his mid forties, wearing a ball cap put a brown paper bagged (doubled) on the counter and in a calm manner asked for the cash. He had no weapon according to mom.

Mom tried to make as much noise with the bag as she could to get the other tellers attention but it didn't work. She did get the dye pack in. And the robber left with only my mother and a customer there. Mom said the video caught everything.

Had my mother not been back from lunch when she would have been in her usual pissed-off self, mom would have just gone for the robber. (or would has amsuclated him in the fashion only a new york Jewish woman could do? “you're robbing me? What kind of man are you? You're mother would be ashamed, etc...”)

If it were me, I'd've just thrown the money up in the air and acted like I had a mental breakdow, having snapped from the stress of work, but then again, as soon as a robber asked for the cash, I would have leaped over the counter and attack him, as I don't take kindly to threats or I'd shout, "NAME, WE'RE ALL OUT OF ONE'S. I NEED FIVE GRAND IN ONE'S NOW!!" to another teller.

Anycase, mom's ok, not as shaken as I expected. She spent the morning criticizing the newspaper and the police report for inaccuracies from her statement.  She also stated she plans to give the detective a piece of her mind when he comes in Monday for payroll.

Having never had this type of experience in my life, I can't imagine what it would be like. (My wife did though and she was badly shaken up for a while.)

The most important thing is that your mother is alright. You can replace money/etc. but not a life.

CaptOblivious

Aaron, how terribly for your mother! Please do pass her our well-wishes, even if it might seem a little odd to her ;)

It's always easy to tell stories about what we would have done after the fact, full of machismo and bravado—lord knows my fight-or-flight response is kicking in just a little bit thinking about it—but it sounds like your mother played it exactly right, which is often even harder to do in the moment.

I do hope her criticisms are aimed squarely at the intended targets, and not just you, though :D

Thx guys. My mother said she was surprisingly calm during the event becasue the robber was calm. Had it been a grab and run yelling and point thing she said she would have been a wreck, but since the robber acted in a calm manner, and appeared to have been experienced it made the situation somewhat less stressful.

A calm and considerate bank robber, that's a new one.

Good to know your mum is okay though, keep an eye on her though as it might catch up with her in a day or two, and give her our best wishes.