Tomix 700-7000 Series Shinkansen Hikari Railstar

Mutley

Hi all,

I've recently bought my first Tomix trains, namely a 500-7000 Series Shinkansen (Cat no 98710) and an N700-8000 Series (92411 / 92412) and having only bought Kato before, I'm really happy with the quality of these purchases.  They run very well, if slightly noisier than my Kato sets and I feel more confident with buying more in the future.

I've also managed to get hold of a Kato 10-491 800 Series via Ebay, which runs very nicely although the flickering lights are going to need some attention (some given already but not much better).  I suspect this will be added-to with the Tomix release due in March next year.

For Christmas, my wife has got me an 883 Sonic and a 787 (guess where my current interests lie …!) and I would like to get a 700 Series Hikari Railstar to go with the other Shinkansen.

I think I'm right in saying that Kato have never made one and searching around, it looks as if it has been some time since the last Tomix release, 2010 maybe for set number 92822?

There is one of these that appears to be new on Amazon at the moment and there is also an older set that I can get hold of here in the UK, which looks like it might have been released in 2004 (92276/ 92277) and just considering whether to take the plunge.

Can I ask if owners of any of these sets can confirm whether they have LEDs rather than bulbs for the lighting, whether they use the electrical conducting couplings (perhaps that's a more recent innovation) and any opinions on how easy these sets are to maintain?

I've also had a search around to see if there is likely to be a new release but nothing on the radar it seems.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• Like 1

The headlight should be LED, they do look pretty bright~ And yes 92822 is the latest model and only Tomix made the Hikari Rail Star. 

From photo, it looks like the older 92276/ 77 only had the hook type coupler and not the electric type

https://www.newhallstation.com/images-lib/tomix_n_scale/TO-92276/TO-92276_04_lg.jpg

While the newer 92822 has the electric coupler 

And you are in luck cause one of our fav stores have them in stock!

• Like 2