See it. Make it.

maihama eki

Reviving this.

These larger than life advertising soft serve cones are a staple particularly in touristy areas of Japan - beckoning you in on a hot afternoon for a cool treat.

DSC08473sm.thumb.jpg.82ad96c0d718c3e85de7eafb5c3f02e1.jpg

I am not skilled enough in 3D modeling to do the twisty soft serve top. I've looked for a while for a 3D model from another creator that would be printable. I finally found one, and printed some tiny cones. A little paint searching and mixing and I got a decent result. Which do you choose? Vanilla or Matcha?

TwoCones_small.thumb.jpg.d94beee6014a0385a26ec187947836fa.jpg

Permanent matcha color paint stain on my cutting board.

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 10

Nice!

here’s my whack a decade back at a racy capsule machine that was photo spotted by one of JNS’s avid photographers in japan. Just was imagining him there taking pictures of it and some schoolgirls laughing at him.

cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

A little bit on how I made it.

It starts with three, 3D prints. Two are in gray plastic - one for the front and sides and one for the back. The third is printed in clear for the front display of the machine.

acure_3D_prints.thumb.jpg.4a427db87d522806d8178daa98eb2764.jpg

After painting the front and back black and installing the clear piece. I put a piece of shiny aluminum tape on the inside of the back to reflect the light.

acure_assy1.thumb.jpg.db2891d316e2eae4399fcd1117db123b.jpg

The placement of the LED in the bottom of the machine with the LED facing back toward the shiny back of the machine.

acura_LED.thumb.jpg.e7a1b467a4139f697eec6f090134a83b.jpg

I printed a decal for the front of the machine on clear decal paper. That gets cut out and applied to the front overlapping the clear and black painted surfaces.

acure_frontdecal.thumb.jpg.5e414e38e922c420ea0f6e576ae68670.jpg

The final result above.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Excellent work @maihama eki! Did you do these on your own machine or service? 

you should sell them!

jeff

Thanks, Jeff. The prints were done by Shapeways. They are in their "Fine Detail Plastic". This is a newer version of this material. When it first came out, they offered it in gray and clear. For some reason, they changed the gray to tan recently.

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/fine-detail-plastic-3

I currently create everything in TinkerCAD - free online. TinkerCAD is very basic, but it's hard to beat free.

I may some day offer my 3D prints in a Shapeways store. I am building up a decent portfolio. They are quite niche though, so I wouldn't expect to sell many.

There is too much time in finishing them (sanding, painting, assembly, ...) to offer them completed. I couldn't do them for a reasonable price.

Cool, selling them on shapeways might help some. Looks like you have worked out all the details and let the buyer do the finishing work.

does shapeways let you bundle two type of prints together?

again kudos on this.

jeff

10 hours ago, maihama eki said:

They are quite niche though, so I wouldn't expect to sell many.

Just take my money, damn. I tinkered with Illuminated Vending machines a bit too, but thats actually superior to what I did. I really would love that file XD

On 9/11/2023 at 8:58 AM, maihama eki said:

Today, this black vending machine from Tokyo, 2022. The one on the left with the LCD display of the beverages.

acurevendingmachinesNov2022.thumb.jpg.7f66cd125769c02e2a36761a98dc6551.jpg

In n-scale.

IMG_5059.thumb.jpg.a24ee3aab617a79cfad212303cc1e52e.jpg

Those machines are now appearing in Australia. Of cause it helps that Kirin and Asahi control some of the local soft drink makers

• Like 1
  • cteno4 pinned this topic

I wanted some large HVAC for my buildings and the ones commercially available weren't what I was looking for. 

In Grand Theft Auto 5 there are tons of buildings with HVACs in them so I used pictures from there as a base

for the HVAC that I scratch built in Tinkercad with free elements from the internet.

I've sent them off to an online 3D printer and will be getting them soon. I made some modifications to make the 

HVAC units unique.

Edit: The HVAC units showed up today and I'm happy as punch with them and the ladders as well. 

I added a Preiser N scale figure for comparison and it looks perfect next to him. 

20240110_204114.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-30 182442.png

Large HVAC (1).png

Edited by bc6
  • Like 5

Nice work @bc6, this is the kind of thing that makes me think of getting a 3d printer.

jeff

• Like 1

Thanks, Jeff, I'd like to learn more tricks of 3D modeling someday and make other items for my railroad. 

I've started 2 new projects a modern Japanese house and a JR Research Cabin. 

I hope I can complete them as they seem like pretty nice models once they're done.

Nowadays you don't even need a 3D printer I'm sure you've heard of online 3D printers that's how I get my stuff printed.

Yep actually used a printing service in New Zealand (one of the few places at the time that was doing a lot of model railway prototyping) way back in the old days (like 15 or so years back) to do some printing pre shapeways. If I get back int 3d cad I’ll probably get my own printer to do more iterations quickly. But plenty of projects to keep me busy until then!

jeff

• Like 1

Im back again with some cellphone tower projects that I've been working on based on real life examples.

Cell phone Tower.png

Toilet Paper.png

Edited by bc6
  • Like 1