Endo is producing the Type 923 Dr Yellow in HO!!!

Need for High Speed

Need for High Speed

http://www.mr-endo.com/lineup/plastic/densha/jr932t5.html

Endo announced this train a few months ago But I never got around to posting about it.

Exciting to see another shinkansen being produced in HO scale that's not brass. Although will cost over a grand (yikes) but I'm sure it will look fantastic but still 118000 Yen which is almost 1,100 usd is a bit much. So I'll wait till they are further along in the development prosses before placing an order. Although I have no idea where I will be ordering it from. If Dr. Yellow is indeed released in the spring, EMS shipping will hopefully be available by then.

I really Wish Tenshodo would do a rerun of their 500 series they haven't made them in over 10 years even just a small rerun would be nice. plus they can make them with multiple liveries like the hello kitty and Eva ones, that way they can sell more of them. Plus updated LEDs and electronics would be apreciated.

Edited by Need for High Speed
  • Like 3

Very exciting.  I don't think I'll have the money to get one, but I'm sure they will be beautiful.

Need for High Speed
2 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Very exciting.  I don't think I'll have the money to get one, but I'm sure they will be beautiful.

Yeah they will be. They said it will have two power cars. In 2021 I am not planning to buy any major high speed train sets in anticipation for the Endo Doctor Yellow T5, 7 car consist. Plus I will be the only one to have it at train shows since none of my friends have expressed much interest in buying one mainly due to cost. 

• Like 1

At least that is a reasonably competitive price and sort of in line with brands like Tomix.  I’m sure it will sell well.

I never really understood the necessity of making smooth-sided modern express trains in brass, especially when they could be easily replicated in plastic.

• Like 2
Need for High Speed
On 12/5/2020 at 9:34 PM, Kamome said:

At least that is a reasonably competitive price and sort of in line with brands like Tomix.  I’m sure it will sell well.

I never really understood the necessity of making smooth-sided modern express trains in brass, especially when they could be easily replicated in plastic.

I know right... Same here. lol

I don't see any point in brass but I know why people like it because its heaveir and has a solid feel. But for high speed trains that doesnt make as much sense because you want them to be kind of light so they can go faster. Most of the HO scale Shinkansen's seem to come from KTM which only does brass trains anyway and are insanely expensive and the detailing isn't the best or at least on their shinkansen models. Still wish Tenshodod would do a rerun of the JR500 series.

So yes, it was very wise of Endo to produce a 1/87 scale Type 923 Dr. Yellow shinkansen in plastic and yeah its kind of expensive but compared to brass trains or this recent limited edition KTX  SanCheon high speed HO scale train model from DetailedK in South Korea that is still available to order for 4,000 usd for the whole 10 car train.  You can find it here https://detailedk.com/ and more about the model and company here https://us.kompass.com/c/detailedk/kr123381/ Im not going to buy this because that price is insane. I don't care how good it is or if they used melted parts of the real trains to make the model. 4 grand is a little steep for me but compared to the Endo Type 923 for 1,100 usd which is just on the cusp of tolerable and intolerable price point for me. But everyone sees price value differently. 

One thing you need to realize is price is directly tied to market size.   If they could sell a lot more, the price would come down.  But as a niche product in Japan, they won't have that many people interested in buying it -- not enough to drive the price down.  They have to recoup their R&D including all the moulds, etc. in addition to making a profit.  N scale is much more popular in Japan, and is one reason it is a lot cheaper.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2020 at 9:56 PM, chadbag said:

One thing you need to realize is price is directly tied to market size.   If they could sell a lot more, the price would come down.  But as a niche product in Japan, they won't have that many people interested in buying it -- not enough to drive the price down.  They have to recoup their R&D including all the moulds, etc. in addition to making a profit.  N scale is much more popular in Japan, and is one reason it is a lot cheaper.

Any ideas how to support niches without preordering a few hundred of the item?

• Haha 1