EF 63 grape TOMIX HO-158 - center truck question

al camino

Hi all

Looking at my new EF63 (home office decoration) I started to recognize details different from my other 3 truck EFs.

The center truck has something specific. A small wheel (red arrow pointing to) that is told to measure the train speed and apply the brakes in the case of run-awayor something alike.

Wiki said "small wheels were used" (plural) but I see one small wheel.

Could anyone of you provide something more detailled compared to the wiki entry about this center truck detail?

I couldn't find a picture of the center truck (by a short search with English keywords). Is it a single wheel on one side as done by TOMIX?

It also seems the magnetic adhesion brake is not installed on the left side of the center truck where the sensing wheel is located.

So the EF63 has only 5 pcs of magnetic adhesion brakes.

Am I right?

Any input is appreciated. I love to learn new things in my hobby.

Thanks in advance!

By taking the pictures I noticed one brake hanger being not in place (now corrected) - refer to the green oval in picture.

1617593815_IMGP5939-Kopie.thumb.JPG.9c45447d9f66ada02f5f91b4ba39b875.JPG

2061144080_IMGP5949-Kopie.thumb.JPG.d2e0d97d346ad603451540230042a7b7.JPG

Edited by al camino
headline updated
13 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

The best thing for a general idea is to just open the Japanese Wikipedia article and translate it.

Thanks.

Normally I do shift the plain japanese wiki in google translation.

Please don't ask why I didn't do this today.

Mayby railroading while homeoffice is not the primarily task :blush:

• Haha 1

If I remember correctly, that wheel is for measuring the locomotives current speed.  As the ef63 is a banking locomotive, there is a possibility of wheel slip causing false indication of the trains actual speed when measuring from the powered wheels.  Ideally this would allow an engineer better understanding of how their train is behaving and avoid any downhill train getting out of contol.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

If I remember correctly, that wheel is for measuring the locomotives current speed.  As the ef63 is a banking locomotive, there is a possibility of wheel slip causing false indication of the trains actual speed when measuring from the powered wheels.  Ideally this would allow an engineer better understanding of how their train is behaving and avoid any downhill train getting out of contol.

This makes really much sense. I know it is tricky to identify wheelslip on a 6 achsle 6 motor unit when all wheels start to slip. I tried to handle a load regulation of a 2 motor locomotive without a real speed indicator. Just by the feedback of motor. Had been not easy. I loved the moment when I got an additional wheel sensor not connected to the motors telling the real speed.

The EF63 was developed in the 60ies. Capabilities of control circuits were not that sophisticated as they are today.

• Like 1

Sorry just seen this thread, but looks like you’ve had the answer. I’m a huge fan of the Usui pass, i used to live in Gunma many years ago although the Nagano shinkansen line had already opened by that point. I’m very impressed that Tomix included the over-speed wheel on their model. It looks like it rolls from your picture. Is that the case?

I’d love to have a couple of these in HO. I have 6 in n gauge already but then i’d have to get a 189 Asama. I do have a Kiha 82 and there was a 7 car “Hakutaka” that went over the pass from Ueno to Kanazawa. See i’m already trying to convince myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I do have a Kiha 82 and there was a 7 car “Hakutaka” that went over the pass from Ueno to Kanazawa. See i’m already trying to convince myself.

Oh no, don't tell me that!  Now I want a pair.  If only tomix would do an HO EF62 to go with them...

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Kamome said:

I’m very impressed that Tomix included the over-speed wheel on their model. It looks like it rolls from your picture. Is that the case?

Yes it is rolling. Should I upload a larger worm's eye view as in first post?

The plate is sprung and the small wheel is free running.

I am afraid what happens on turnouts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, marknewton said:

They do. 😉

They did 😢 in 2014.

I think we have to wait quite a long time until a re-release will come.

I am still waiting for my EF81-300 stainless steel (released in 2008).

Edited by al camino
typos

If you'd consider a secondhand model, I've seen them offered for sale on Yahoo auctions fairly often. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, marknewton said:

If you'd consider a secondhand model, I've seen them offered for sale on Yahoo auctions fairly often. 

Cheers,

Mark.

My observation: Not here in Germany considering a reasonable price.

I once found lot of series 10 coaches in France which was the starting point for my collection to grow from a few locos and cars to 😲 and the need to buy japanese storage cases.

I‘ve never seen anything japanese H0 related on german eBay ever I think.

There are some of both on YAJ, at ridiculous prices tho 😄

35 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

I‘ve never seen anything japanese H0 related on german eBay ever I think.

There are some of both on YAJ, at ridiculous prices tho 😄

Plus the customs action here which is +19% normally, reduced now to 16% until 12.12.2020 due to Corona.

Modellbahnunion has some japanese RR but byuing directly from them might be cheaper (see the EF63).

Yeah for 270€ including shipping it was an ok price I guess. RG-R sells the loco for a little under 200€ which would bring you to ca. 250€ including shipping and taxes. Sadly neither the EF62 nor the EF81-300 are listed on their page.

2008 was the last release of the EF81-300. I’d love the JNR one too, even a Kato n gauge release would be nice.

I’m sure there is still one in silver running out of Moji freight yard, although i haven’t seen it for a few years. Most non-EH500 hauled trains I see are 81-400s or ED76s

10 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I’m sure there is still one in silver running out of Moji freight yard

This one?

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Like 1