I can finally watch Bill's videos!

scott

My G3 iBook, which couldn't run youtube videos, has been self-destructing. So I found a good deal and made the massive leap to a .... G4 iBook. (ooh, ahhhh....)

But the good news is that the G4 can run videos!

Off to the Prototypes forum.....

Scott,

bummer dude! always a bit skeptical on used laptops as you never know how many hard falls they may have taken and just not show it on the outside, but inside small fractures occur in the solder joints that may bite you later, especially has they tend to heat up more...

hope you get to a working machine soon! i have goji videos for you to watch!

cheers

jeff

This is the second time I've had a problem right away with a used mac. The last one was an iMac and the guy jerked me around for days. I hope this one goes easier...

All my own macs have been new, but when i upgrade they have all gone off to friends and family (sold a couple) and have lived very very long second and in some cases third lives (one mac SE was still being used 15 years after i wrote my dissertation on it by a friends kid!).

that being said i always took great care of my gear and as i taught high school for a year and ran a large multimedia lab i could see the abuse that folks could give to gear! so its always a gamble and there is little you can do to know if something has had a hard life unless you really know the original owner!

new macs are not cheap though, but compared to the time and money i have put into pcs to keep them going (even though i only use them for like 10% of my business and the macs get pounded) the macs still give me a HUGE ROI! PCs give a horrible ROI and if it was not for that small amount that i have to have real PC hardware it would be a no brainer to drop them...

mac minis are a pretty great deal these days if you have a monitor you can use!

good luck with getting a new computer up and going!

cheers

jeff

The problem is that I can't afford recent stuff, so the ones I *can* afford have been around long enough that there's a good chance they're messed up.