Okayama Momo and Kumamoto tram from Tomytec

Fenway Park

NG Blog reports more low floor trams from Tomytec.  One for Okayama MOMO 9200 type and Kumamoto 9700 type . Due 03/2010 1470 yen unpowered. 

One of them looks like a different paint livery from the Portam. I'm wondering which version or model tram they are going to release and if KATO will make a version as well.

One of them looks like a different paint livery from the Portam. I'm wondering which version or model tram they are going to release and if KATO will make a version as well.

HS now has a photos and there is a third version.  The Kumamoto car is 0800, not 9700.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10104756

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10104754

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10104752

Mudkip Orange

The Kumamoto car and the Manyosen car are same vehicle as the Portrams, just different paint.

In fairness, the headlights and some of the smaller windows are also different. Sort of like Houston vs Charlotte vs Portland "Type 4" LRVs... all are Siemens Avanto, but different headlights etc.

Gordon Werner

Are the two models different. I had assumed that KATO was buying the TomyTec LRV's and just re-powering them. I doubt it is so much a war as the two got together on a joint project.

no they are different moulds of the same LRVs

I got both. 

Trust me, Kato's commitment to quality and details are much greater.  In a way, you can say Tomix is smart by testing the modern tram market by releasing the low floor tram in the less expensive Tomytec brand while Kato jumped right in with an all inclusive model.

I find it incredibly improbable that they would both simultaneously release the same exact thing at the same time.

The two models were not released at the same time.  Tomytec an announced Portram at least an year before it appeared on the market last summer.  Reportedly that appearance was delayed.  Kato did not announce anything until JRMA.

they are totally different models in all ways, mechanism, mechanics, shell.

they do seem to both want to go at the tram market, but are not doing it head to head. going for slightly different markets. tomytec is great at getting stuff out quick and cheap at a decent quality and going after the collectors as well (hence 7 different portram colors). kato looks to be going after the high end train market with the full quality and detail model. same with the track. the tomix is more flexible and fits into the current track system well and builds on that with the idea of temporary and more permanent layouts. unitram is for the complete scene, out of the box approach that hooks into the diotown system as well.

i dont see tomix and kato sharing on this, but competing on a partial battle field with each hoping to have a success in their own niche and some scrapping with each other around the edges.

in any case it provides us with a nice range of new tram stuff to choose from!

cheers

jeff

I was actually thinking that to see if the kato chasis might work on the tomytec okayama, momo or kumamoto trams if kato does not bring them out!

cheers

jeff