My small adventure

Mossberg

Some pictures from my first adventure.

It is not ready yet. Still waiting for some stuff from Hobby Search.

The layout is only 100x50 cm and the track is a simple oval made of some Minitrix tracks I had.

The yellow tree is perhaps a bit out of season :-).

It is a Ginko according to the label, so I guess it would not turn yellow untill autum. But I thougth I needed something yellow so :-).

/Magnus M

Edit :  20cm -> 50cm

post-223-13569923504157_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923505033_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923505808_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923506613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks really nice. If the layout is only 20cm deep, what is the radius on the track - or does it not loop around under the hill?

Opps sorry it is 50 cm deep.

I dont know how much time I have spent on it but I have been working on it for perhaps 4 or 5 weekends.

/Magnus M

It looks very good. I like how you have weathered the Tomix 4002 station and all the green trees in the background.  Good work!!

Thank you all for your nice comments.

This is my second small layout and I have found that I quite enjoy building smaller layouts. Partly because I get results faster but also because I think I spend more time on the landscape and structures and less on the wires.

I am also building on my main German layout (300x80cm, scale 1:160). But that takes much longer time.

/Magnus M

Today my KIHA 03 Railbusses arrived (Tomix 92158). Don't know if they are prototypical but they are perfect for my small layout, both in size and colours :-).

/Magnus M

post-223-13569923509764_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923510481_thumb.jpg

Have enjoyed looking at this Magnus, my first Japanese project will be 20cm x 120cm (8" x 48"), so it has given me some ideas.  Just got to hope my locos arrive from Japan next week so I can start planning.  Is there any chance you could provide a top down view of the whole thing.

The weathered station looks the part too, nice work.

Magnus - what are you doing (material) on the hill to give the impression of a lot of trees? The photos you've taken really hi-lite the scenery, excellent work.

CaptOblivious

Magnus - what are you doing (material) on the hill to give the impression of a lot of trees? The photos you've taken really hi-lite the scenery, excellent work.

My guess is he's doing like me: A ton of WS clump foliage. Very effective.

I have used Noch FC183 Clump Foliage medium green (art no 95520) to cover the hill with. I think Woodland Scenics have exactly the same article.

The forth picture above covers almost the complete layout. It is just a simple oval of which half is under the hill. Very simple. I will work on it the coming  weekend to finish the part to the left of the station. And also the Tunnel Portals. After that I will try to take a picture from more above.

/Magnus M

Clump foliage to represent dense wooded areas was, I believe, used many years ago by American modellers, who tend to have large basement layouts, to cover large areas as their prototypes demand (prototype modelling is pretty big State side) and to make the scenic work simpler.  Having said that the costs involved given the price of WS stuff, are quite scary, perhaps they get it cheaper in bulk over there  :cheesy

Hey Magnus,

That looks awesome! Too bad you didn't get the season quite right, but who cares. The colouring is really nice and well balanced. Just blame it on the climate-change. :grin

This gives me so much motivation to start to work on my own layout! I too, like Lawrence, have to wait for some deliveries before I can start working on it.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Mudkip Orange

VERY nice dude. One of the great things about Japanese N is how much detail you can pack into a small space. But this is a double-edged sword, since if you have too much space it can be hard to finish it out right. Looks like you've hit the sweet spot on the first try!

Thats a lovely little layout magnus

I can see something like that fitting nicely in my office :)

Graham

Very nice. I wouldn't have noticed the tree being out of place if you hadn't mentioned it. I've built a 3'x2' Japanese layout with a similar theme and it's amazing what you can get in, with a smaller area you can concentrate more on the details. I'd add a few people, not too many though, not all of Japan is as crowded as Tokyo in the rush hour.

Mudkip Orange

I did just notice that the town is deserted though. Pre-Godzilla evacuation?

You can always get a couple packs of those maid girls and you're good to go.

Thank you for you positive comments. Today I finished the tunnel portals and the open space to the left of the station. I attach some pictures of the results.

I know the village looks deserted. But I have some japanese farmers, and also some traditionally dressed people, that I plan to use. Just have to mount them on some transparent sheet of plastics first. So that they can stand by them self :-).

By the way the portals are German. I bought some Japanese from Hobby Search but I found them to big.

/Magnus M

post-223-13569923552413_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923553191_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923553926_thumb.jpg

It is a small layout and not much happening on it right now. But I have a few more pictures to share.

The steam locos, at least the D51, are far to big for the layout. But I wanted to take photos of them so...

/Magnus M

PS

Thank you for asking Bernard :-).

post-223-1356992385482_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923855494_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923856229_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923856953_thumb.jpg

post-223-13569923857886_thumb.jpg

Claude_Dreyfus

Liking this a great deal... This is one of the most effective looking layouts I have seen for a long time...you are very good...

Liking this a great deal... This is one of the most effective looking layouts I have seen for a long time...you are very good...

Ditto!! Your attention to details is great. I love the photo of the woman waiting for the train with the time table behind her.