Shell compatibility

mvaron

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to provide me with information, experience, or photos of shell compatibility between different years of the Kato ED75?

I have a Kato 3009-5 with the original motor and was curious to know if I could place that model's shell on a newer model motor of a compatible ED75.

Thank you!

- Mauricio

Kato 3009-5.jpg

It should fit, I was able to put a 30yo EF65 shell on a E851 chassis, so if Kato didn‘t change the scale you should be fine 😄

• Like 1

I don't know ab out shell compatibility but some updated models are totally different frames / light board etc.  I have some EF81 IIRC that are much different underneath.  Don't know how that affects the shell compatibility.

I don't have ED75 so can't comment on the direct question.

Mauricio,

You might post a picture of your current chassis and some basic measurements so if someone has the newer chassis they could compare it.

jeff

Great idea Jeff!

Below are the pictures. The chassis is a total 92mm long including the skirt. The part where the shell goes onto is 89mm long. As you can see, there are dimples in the top of the chassis when the shell rests.

ED75-1.jpg

ED75-2.jpg

Edited by mvaron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Here‘s the newer chassis and also your loco next to it. I guess it should fit

That's perfect, thanks Jan!

Now I have to get a hold of a new chassis 🤔

• Like 1

Funnily enough the current "Nine Scale World" magazine has a report by someone doing the exact same thing (3009-5 bodyshell to 3028 chassis) and reports some modification to the interior roof of the bodyshell is needed for it to fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, railsquid said:

Funnily enough the current "Nine Scale World" magazine has a report by someone doing the exact same thing (3009-5 bodyshell to 3028 chassis) and reports some modification to the interior roof of the bodyshell is needed for it to fit.

Do you happnen to have the article or know where I could find it?

- Mauricio

On 11/10/2020 at 10:16 AM, roadstar_na6 said:

Here‘s the newer chassis and also your loco next to it. I guess it should fit

I hate to say this, but unfortunately you can't mate a 3009-series ED75 body onto a 3075 chassis. I know because I've just tried... a wee bit disappointing to be sure! A good idea in theory, but in practicality not so good. I'd say the original ED75's were slightly overscale and the newer ones are closer to scale, that might be the biggest single cause.

• Sad 2