Yavianice

Japan Post will increase postal fees and reclassify USA starting April 1, 2021

Yavianice

Japan Post will increase the shipping costs for all parcels starting April 1, 2021.

On top of that, USA, which was previously zone 2 (same zone as Europe), will now be zone 4 (USA zone), drastically increasing the prices.

All prices can be seen here https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/2021fee_change/index_en.html

All part of the Trump administrations "we will quit the UPU unless they increase postage into/out of the USA" stuff that happened last year btw. https://time.com/5687134/trump-universal-postal-union-deal/

Japan Post has not increased their postage fees since 1996. So I guess it's only fair.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Sad 1

katoftw

Not too bad really.

At lower weight, it is worse. At higher weight, it is better.

Edited by katoftw

cteno4

Yes the light weight packages were pretty ridiculously low priced for SAL for a very long time. I saved many train sets worth of savings with it over the last couple of decades. But I guess that has to come to an end. Still reasonable for international shipping. It’s astoundingly expensive to export even a small package from the us now. Even first class envelopes are getting bounced if much of anything at all in them thickness and stiffness wise.

even if politics normalize some I doubt prices will ever go down once having been raised.

jeff