Kato Eurostar E300 20 car configuration

GCS

Hi guys,

Im looking at picking up the new E300 Kato Eurostar but I’m a bit confused by the 20 car configuration.

So three 10-1298 add-on sets are required for 20 cars, but I’ve read you need to buy four for some reason, can anyone shed some light?

Thanks 

Guy

The Kato website says the following:

Please enjoy running the 20-car train (#10-1297 8-Car Basic Set x1 + 10-1298 4-Car Add-on Set x3).

Edited by roadstar_na6
27 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

The Kato website says the following:

Ah think I’ve figured it out. Prototypical E300 only has x2 buffet cars, if you buy x3 sets then you’ve got one to many buffet and short one standard carriage... 🙄 oh Kato.

Guy

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

That could be a) solved by just ignoring it or b) trying to acquire an individual car or assy shell

Had a look online for bodyshell replacements and I couldn’t see any. Japan auctions, eBay etc. Might be long out of stock now...

Guy

On 11/6/2020 at 12:09 AM, GCS said:

Had a look online for bodyshell replacements and I couldn’t see any. Japan auctions, eBay etc. Might be long out of stock now...

Guy

Hi Guy!

like you already discover,  you need 4 add-on set, from the last 2 sets you use only the 2nd class cars of each set, the first class car and the buffet cars are surplus, you can treat it like donor for spare parts - couplers and boogies - that are a little bit weak and simple to break
another way (more expensive) is to buy only 3 add-on and a second base set that contain the required 2x 2nd class cars plus a second powered car for the 20 cars train formation (and  lot of "spare parts" for the future, or you can sell it, spare parts are never enough )
I tried this secon way, but you need a perfect track layout because the second powered push loco cause o lot of trouble (but I can chose, power or powerless for different layout)
btw a single power loco for 19 trailer cars sometime is not enough...(back and forth, but not up and down and sequence of tight curves)

p.s. buying separate spare parts outside UK to build 2 cars cost only a little less than another add-on set (I saw on ebay.uk is still available at less than 70-80€) and today are is near to impossible to find.

ciao!

Massimo

(and maybe someone inside Sekisui Kinzoku finally can think that's a good idea to sell another fucking separate add-on with 4 second class cars for E300 and original Eurostar - sell uncomplete trains was acceptable 20 years ago, but not today)

• Like 1

Hey Massimo!

Thanks for the advice, either way it sounds like an expensive solution. 

I like the x2 base sets though, that could be interesting! 

Guy

well, just a little bit expensive 😏

but compared with other european set it's still cheap, one Kato ICE4 or one Arnold ICE3 is not so far and the train is short, less than one JC Transalpin or Minitrix/REE "Le Capitole" and Fleischmann ICE1 (the last 2 are DCC but uncomplete)

take a lok on ebay.de, sometime during the weekend you find it on DM Toys bargain auction, I bought mine for 120-130€ for base and 55-65€ for add-on

(E300 is still available, Eurostar is sold out 😔 )

my first attempt to use one second base set instead a fourth add-on was with the original Eurostar (10-327) because was simple to find cheap like junk set and at time the less expensive solution, add-on was unavailable or overpriced like the orange TGV today
originally I bought one base 10-327 a 2 x 10-328 add-on like 99% of buyers, 20 cars consistency has been obtained with a couple of junk 10-327 that has become a special set with 4 second class R2 and one  spare motorized loco, the rest dismantled and partially sold like spare parts
today, third add-on and a second base or third and fourth add-on are a better solutions than mine, (but obviously that can change when everything will be sold out), in each case not so hard to re-sell if you change in mind

for those that would try my solution, typical defect is the broken pantos and the broken coupler between locos and R1 and/or R9/R9, R2 are the only 2 cars that you need, just ask better photo to verify the shell and coupler/boogie condition and if the box contain the correct cars (I saw base sets with 1 or 2 buffet cars instead of 2 second class, probably exchanded during re packing, tipically the seller sell or has already sold also the add-on/s with wrong cars)
the last release is too joung for find it easy like junk...but time passes

(and if you like kitbashing/re-painting the rest of cars can be a start point for an Izy or the "White Rose", another mistery of Kato marketing strategy)

ciao!

Massimo

• Like 1