Kato Twilight Express Mizukaze

Kiran

Does the Kato version (10-1570) take an EM13 decoder? Also, has anyone explored the possibilities of installing a Loksound with speaker in this thing?

Edited by Kiran

Yes, it does accept the common Kato MF and FL decoders without issue.

I don't think it'll be easy to install sound in it with the motor and decoder.

I reccon installing multiple speakers in parts without windows could work.

I added dcc to mine using the em13 style decoders.  I'm sure you could fit loksound with some modification, I'll take a closer look when I get home tonight. 

Edited by Kiha66

The easiest is probably to use the EM13 style for the motor and just use the LokSound for sound only installed in one of the wagons.  Overkill $-wise but probably a lot easier to deal with install-wise.

After inspecting my set, the motor car (car 4) is one of the sleeper coaches with 3 rooms and a shower section.  I believe a loksound micro would fit in the shower section and be mostly hidden, while the speaker could be fit in the restroom section between two rooms and likewise mostly hidden from view.  This would require some removal of interior walls but fit nicely in the space.  For the cab cars I would use regular FL12 headlight decoders as those are drop in and would greatly simplify install.  

For the sound DCC Station has free loksound files of JR DMUs, I'd suggest using one of the DMF15 files engines as I believe the Twilight express is powered by a derivative of the type.

https://desktopstation.net/sounds/index.html

photo4976941685686774062.thumb.jpg.7543e3589ee13e53a36b4844535698ac.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

Here is my Kato Twilight Express with Loksound V5 Micro DCC. We decided to close the windows in the motor car with tissue paper for now to hide the speaker. I will pretend that passengers in these rooms are asleep. I wonder if there are any interior parts sets for this model. It would be interesting to replicate the drapes/shades in the prototype. Thanks also for the pointer to sounds. Not the greatest quality but pretty good. The end cars have FL12s.

• Like 1