What Freight For Early EF66

Kanpai Keith

Hi Guys 

just about to pull the trigger on an early EF66 but wanted to know what freight it would have pulled.  Looking at Koki’s but think they look at little unnatural on the curves.

Yavaris Forge

The EF66 was developed with fast (container) freight services in mind at the end of the 60s but was used to pull all kinds of trains like sleeper trains as well for example.

If you want shorter cars I'd use a bunch of WaMus (Wamu 80000 and 380000 I think) as seen here: 

Yavaris Forge

Yes JNR containers were mostly green with white or blue stripes. For Kokis you could use the blue Koki 10000s which were build for express services between Tokyo and Sanyo on the Tokaido Main Line or pretty much any other Koki like the brown Koki 5500 for example.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2020 at 8:34 PM, Yavaris Forge said:

If you want shorter cars I'd use a bunch of WaMus (Wamu 80000 and 380000 I think).

MicroAce has two sets of 15 WaMus that can be used to reproduce that. I have often seen the rack of blue WaMus being hauled by a EF66 on Japanese layouts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, disturbman said:

MicroAce has two sets of 15 WaMus that can be used to reproduce that. I have often seen the rack of blue WaMus being hauled by a EF66 on Japanese layouts.

had a look for these, I think I stand a better chance of finding unicorn poop 🤣🤣🤣

I think I shall stick with the Kokis and a kokifu.  See what I think.

They regularly pop on YJA. The nice thing with MA WaMus is that the doors actually open.

Edit: I just discovered that Tomix had a set of 34 38000 WaMus and an EF66. Tomix 92977.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3
43 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Edit: I just discovered that Tomix had a set of 34 38000 WaMus and an EF66. Tomix 92977.

Wait a second, THIRTY-FOUR freight wagons included in a single set!? WOW!

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts
12 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Everything fits in two cases. Must take a while to take out.

If you think that's bad, imagine this. Replacing the couplers with knuckle couplers ....

• Haha 4
Martijn Meerts

Not yet, that's the advantage of not having a layout yet to run them on. Can't be bothered to replace them 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3