Steam Locomotive Kimetsu no Yaiba

JR Kyushu and Kimetsu no Yaiba collaboration. The locomotive used is the 58654 also used on the SL Hitoyoshi service. The locomotive has a custom headmark at the front which reads mugen (infinity).

Another video by Youtuber Suit Train.

Edited by Tomoha
  • Like 1

I am curious about the diesel locomotive at the end of the train.  From the exhaust, it looks to be operating.  Is it there just for protection?  Or is it doing some or all of the work of moving the train?

Tony Galiani

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

I am curious about the diesel locomotive at the end of the train.  From the exhaust, it looks to be operating.  Is it there just for protection?  Or is it doing some or all of the work of moving the train?

Tony Galiani

I assume it is helping moving the train.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tony Galiani said:

Tony Galiani

1 hour ago, Tomoha said:

I assume it is helping moving the train.

Indeed it is. 

In these cases, a diesel locomotive is almost always present as a back-up for the steam locomotive, mainly to assist in case of steep gradients or to have a quicker accelleration (so to keep up with the rest of the line's timetable), but also as a back-up in case of a steam locomotive breakdown or to assist when shunting or reversing the train (as most stations are no longer equipped with turntables).

It is common practice also in Italy (E646 electric locomotive in the video below), and i suspect in many other countries too.

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1
On 11/1/2020 at 10:57 PM, Tony Galiani said:

I am curious about the diesel locomotive at the end of the train.

Possibly also takes the strain off of the steam loco. I was at Kyoto railway museum at the weekend and saw C57 1 from the SL Yamaguchi looking sorry for itself. 

F26ADF7C-403F-4C5C-B769-3F4BB9C65A62.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1