Sekihoku Line

Tony Galiani

I came across this video this morning - it was just put up but is it old?  I thought the line was closed?

Anyway, there are five onion freight trains - 11 Kokis each top and tailed by DF-200s.  Not that I need an excuse to buy more DF-200s but I like this.  Wondering if this is common in Japan or something unusual on this line?  I think it might have a switchback but I am not sure.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 4

The video title says the imagery is current, October 31st 2020.  This is the Jomon Pass, apparently.

Here's Google Map centered and zoomed in on Jomon Tunnel.  There is a switchback south of this location.  https://www.google.com/maps/search/常紋峠/@43.8390437,143.5449104,15.04z?hl=en

I'm not aware of any closure of the line, but I don't follow Hokkaido very closely.  English Wikipedia does say that four stations were closed in 2016 due to lower ridership: Shimo-Shirataki, Kyu-Shirataki, Kami-Shirataki, and Kanehana.

• Like 1

That is what confused me - the video seemed to be brand new but, when I looked at the JR Hokkaido web site, it seemed to indicate the line was closed.  Of course, when I just went to look at the JR Hokkaido page just now, I couldn't find it again ...

It seems reasonably busy and I am a believer in rail freight so good to know I was mistaken and the line is still in service.

Maybe the switchback is the reason the train is top and tailed?  I wouldn't think 11 Kokis loaded with onions would be too much for a DF-200 but I suppose I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

29 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

That is what confused me - the video seemed to be brand new but, when I looked at the JR Hokkaido web site, it seemed to indicate the line was closed.  Of course, when I just went to look at the JR Hokkaido page just now, I couldn't find it again ...

It seems reasonably busy and I am a believer in rail freight so good to know I was mistaken and the line is still in service.

As of now, the Sekihoku Main Line is still operating both passenger and freight services, but it' has been included in JR Hokkaido's infamous Dr.Beeching-style report of network rationalization.

In other words, the line has been shortlisted to be handed-over to a third-sector railway, or in the worst outcome, be closed altogheter.

@miyakoji I went back and it looks as if I misinterpreted the web page - it does list four stations.  I should have know the line was open as the translation and date of the posting seemed to indicate that.

Between the freight trains and the passenger trains it would seem to have enough business to stay open though I could be wrong - especially if the freight traffic is only seasonal.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani