Kamome Shinkansen

It really tries to be a JRK Kenji Mitooka design, while clearly being a JR C/W train.  I can dig the red stripe, but the gold on white lettering feels gaudy and a bit much for a 6 car train.  I'm sure it'll be nicer inside than the standard 700S series though.

• Like 1

Is this for the new planning Nagasaki Shinkansen line? Strange it is named Kamome, which is usually a limited express train... Would that mean the discontinuation of the Kamome services?

1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

Is this for the new planning Nagasaki Shinkansen line?

Correct.

Strange it is named Kamome, which is usually a limited express train... Would that mean the discontinuation of the Kamome services?

That has been the fate of many limited express trains where the route has been superseded by a Shinkansen line.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:41 PM, Kiha66 said:

It really tries to be a JRK Kenji Mitooka design, while clearly being a JR C/W train.  I can dig the red stripe, but the gold on white lettering feels gaudy and a bit much for a 6 car train.  I'm sure it'll be nicer inside than the standard 700S series though.

They are trying to match the 7 stars and that new one in terms of "style"  -- fancy writing (gold) etc.  The Kyushu "elegance" style.

They show standard non-Green class with 5 across, like the normal JR Central standard class, but unlike the JR West Sakura standard class, which I believe is only 4 across IIRC ?

• Like 1

All Kyushu Shinkansen N700 stock has 5 across in non-reserved (jiyuseki) seating cars.  4 across is found in reserved (shiteiseki) seating cars. 800 series has the all 4 across seating (and no green car).

• Like 1

I'm getting tired of the growing over-presence of text and gold ornaments on JR Kyushu (and some other companies) designs. On that rendering of the front, the same message is repeated about 5 times in different forms, without counting the three logos on the cab. The design is oversaturated. It would have looked a lot more elegant and sleek if it was only written once. This looks and feel like the work of somebody that didn't know what they were doing. I hope this is just a rendering sketching different possibilities and that the final design will be a bit lighter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@disturbman I agree, looks like a kid went at it with a sticker set. I kind of remember doing this as a kid on models with extra decals, you just have to use them all (hey if one is good 5 is great!) so put them on every body line. Gold on white is also not a great color combo, makes you squint and as soon as you do that to read the text your brain says tilt on the whole thing. Text automatically switches the processing of visual images, if it’s long or hard to read in shape, color or size, even worse. This is not what you want to do with visual design, need the eye to gracefully flow over it. Even worse it’s something like a Shinkansen where the aerodynamics and design already make the eye flow along to screw that up.

maybe a design by committee and everyone wanted the tag lines and logos in different places (and couldn’t even decide the tag line text) so they all got to put one on where they wanted it! I’ve been in meetings like that...

jeff

Exactly, and as Tomoha noted, a lot of the details won’t be seen by travelers.

If the rendering is the final design, I think we might have reached peak-Eiji Mitooka studio and might see a change in paradigm.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, bikkuri bahn said:

All Kyushu Shinkansen N700 stock has 5 across in non-reserved (jiyuseki) seating cars.  4 across is found in reserved (shiteiseki) seating cars. 800 series has the all 4 across seating (and no green car).

Yeah that is what I was remembering -- the Sakura has the 4 across in standard seating in the reserved cars, unlike the JR Central run N700.  Since I always get reserved seats I like the Sakura when running south of Osaka.

10 hours ago, disturbman said:

I'm getting tired of the growing over-presence of text and gold ornaments on JR Kyushu (and some other companies) designs. On that rendering of the front, the same message is repeated about 5 times in different forms, without counting the three logos on the cab. The design is oversaturated.

The Kamome 885 Series is already quite a serious offender in this sense...

Four "Kamome" on the front, five on each side of the cab and a further four for each side of the passenger compartment, bringing the total to 22 "Kamome" on a single car. YIKES!!!

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Peak Mitooka

Ooooh, that's one phrase that will come in handy!

Edited by Socimi
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, Tomoha said:

What is the point of having the red at the base. Riders can't see it.

Why bother paint the train at all? I mean riders cannot see the outside.

1 hour ago, Socimi said:

The Kamome 885 Series is already quite a serious offender in this sense...

Four "Kamome" on the front, five on each side of the cab and a further four for each side of the passenger compartment, bringing the total to 22 "Kamome" on a single car. YIKES!!!

Indeed, very similar treatment to the new Kamome. I thought the other JR Kyushu limited expresses had a lighter "textual" treatment.

Yavaris Forge

The design theme could have been "the more english, the more modern" but they didn't want to use different slogans for each part of the cab so they just used the same one over and over again