Ballast Kato Viaduct

I am making a layout that includes a viaduct, with Kato double track. I am planning on ballast, but wondering about the viaduct.

Do I ballast it like ground level track?

Thanks

Kato double track viaduct pieces usually come with concrete slab style track, which would not be ballasted.  If you wish, you can replace the slabs with concrete tie ballasted track.  Both styles of viaduct are prototypical depending on location and era.

Does the double track ground plate track pop right into the double viaduct frame when the concrete slab track piece is removed? I have this vague memory it does and even the screw holes line up.

jeff

They do, as far as I can tell the mounting points are identical on both the slab and ballasted styles of track.  I believe @gavino200 even managed to fit a double crossover onto viaduct track on his last layout. 

16 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

They do, as far as I can tell the mounting points are identical on both the slab and ballasted styles of track.  I believe @gavino200 even managed to fit a double crossover onto viaduct track on his last layout. 

I did, but that took some modification. The double doesn't have the recesses to fit the little clip pieces on the viaduct so they have to be removed. Also The double crossover is very long, and doesn't fit on a single long viaduct piece. It wasn't very tough, but if anyone were interested I bet I could find pictures. 

• Like 2

Its quite cold here now actually!  Dropped to 68F today, we'll have to start getting out the heavy blankets!  😁