DCC Sound?

David

Are there any particular reasons against installing a DCC sound board into a trailer car in an EMU?

For example a Digitrax SFX004 is fully programmable using an PR2/PR3, allowing user created sound profiles (.wav files) to be downloaded into the units flash memory - this could include both electric engine sounds, as well as replacing the "whistle" sounds with door chimes or station announcements. With EMUs already using multiple decoders (cab car x 2 + motor car), it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to put a stand alone sound system into a 4th car. Most Kato/Tomix cars already have pickup and basic wiring/contacts inside (for lighting kits) so installation would seem straight forward (might require cutting up the plastic seat insert if you wanted to try and disguise the presence of the decoder).

So, is there any reason that nobody seems to be interested in this? From Kato's own marketing videos it seems like sound is one of the major plus points they use to try and get Japanese modelers to adopt DCC (though you only ever see them showing off sound on locomotives).

CaptOblivious

There is no reason why you couldn't. I'd certainly be interested in the results, but even more interested in byour source for sound effects! Personally, I'm not satisfied with the sound quality available from the tiny speakers necessary to fit n scale carraiges. I am planning instead to use static but full sized speakers hidden in buildings and then programming (how I know not) some kind of surround sound system with them.

David, would be very cool to see this happen with a Japanese model. I've got two models from Minitrix that came 'factory installed' with DCC and sound (a "DMU" essentially - the Dutch Ram TEE, and a steam engine) and I kind of agree with the Captain on the quality.  Although it is interesting, the steam engine sound is a lot better than the diesel sound, perhaps the frequencies of diesel engines (don't have enough bass for one!) aren't as appealling to my ears versus the steam sounds (although you'd think a steam engines would have a lot of bass, the 'chugging' sounds actually work quite well).  An electric / EMU with sound may be pretty cool as you don't have to worry about 'bass-heavy' frequencies trying to get reproduced through that tiny speaker.

Martijn Meerts

Apart from the bad sound quality, you also have the problem that most sound decoders are connected to the motor decoder, to take care of the speed dependent sounds and calculate when brake squealing should be used and when not.

For me the biggest problem is that the sound is just too thin and plastic. I tend to think the same for H0 engines. Only my 0-scale sounds good enough to actually drive with the sound turned on.