Hello from France

carledwood

Hi,

I'm building a N scale 2 layers winter layout. The tracks on the upper and lower layer are independently controlled. That's to allow my two kids to play at the same time without getting in a fight 😉

There is also a cableway. 

Everything is controlled by Arduino, coded from scratch. 

I have 2 Swiss locomotives (my home country) and I got my first Japanese one last week. 

In the layout I'm trying to get a feeling of Swiss and Japanese mountain scenery. 

My other interests are RC cars (Tamiya), FPV flying, and Japanese language. 

8A08E96B-8A95-47AE-871D-1DB14ACBC3F5.jpeg

• Like 11

Carl,

welcome to the forum! Glad you found us.

looks Like a really fun project and great solution to the kid fights! Please start a topic in the layout forum on the project as there are a lot of folks here interested in arduino automation for their trains.

looking forward to the progress.

jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, thanks for the welcoming. So glad to have found this forum. Ok I might start a topic under Personal Projects / Layout Building about my Arduino layout.

Best

Carl

• Like 2
Yugamu Tsuki

Good day.

Yes, Arduino's are fun (though I can only make basic sketches myself). I'd love to see your set-up for it.

-Ken

Welcome @carledwood! I hope your train recovered.

I completely support the @cteno4, I would very interested in reading about your Arduino layout.

Nice, you could give two sides to your layout, one Japanse and one Swiss. It's probably too late for inspiration, but you could look into the Hakone Tozan Railway and the Hakone Tozan line. It's one of Japan's most famous mountain railway. It's a sister railway of the Rhaetian Railway.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2020 at 8:30 AM, serotta1972 said:

Hi Carl, did you say Tamiya? Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Yes Tamiya! I have a Dune Buggy, Lunch Box, and a Comical Grasshopper. You can check them out on my Instagram (carledwood).

19 hours ago, Kamome442 said:

Hi Carl, welcome to the forum, I am looking forward to learning more about your layout. The cableway looks great.

Thanks Kamome442, I'll soon start a new topic about my layout 🙂

• Like 1
21 hours ago, disturbman said:

Welcome @carledwood! I hope your train recovered.

I completely support the @cteno4, I would very interested in reading about your Arduino layout.

Nice, you could give two sides to your layout, one Japanse and one Swiss. It's probably too late for inspiration, but you could look into the Hakone Tozan Railway and the Hakone Tozan line. It's one of Japan's most famous mountain railway. It's a sister railway of the Rhaetian Railway.

Thank you @disturbman. Glad to find you here 🙂. I haven't worked on the coupler yet, I need to get better tweezers first and find the right (calm) time.

Very inspiring the Hakone Tozan Railway, thanks. 

And yes, I'll follow @cteno4 suggestion, and start a topic in the next days about my layout. I see there is an interest about Arduino and I'll be happy to share my experience 🙂 .

On 10/8/2020 at 3:18 AM, Yugamu Tsuki said:

Good day.

Yes, Arduino's are fun (though I can only make basic sketches myself). I'd love to see your set-up for it.

-Ken

Hi @Yugamu Tsuki, I've learned Arduino with the Arduino Starter Kit, the book in it is very pedagogical. A few years ago I made a first basic linear track with light sensors to automatically stop the train at the end of the track. Now I'm trying a bit more ambitious project 🤓. I'll post details about it quite soon!

On 10/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, carledwood said:

Thank you @disturbman. Glad to find you here 🙂. I haven't worked on the coupler yet, I need to get better tweezers first and find the right (calm) time.

Glad you found us 🙂

Going by my own experience, it's not always that easy to find the right (calm) timeâ„¢ with kids around. Even more when that time involves some small parts and requires good lighting.

• Like 1