Eddie Van Halen has passed

chadbag

Tony Galiani

I knew he was a great guitarist but didn't realize just how skilled and influential he was.  The New York Times obit was something of a revelation to me - 56 million albums sold with two releases each selling more than 10 million copies each.

Tony Galiani

• Like 2

One thing I read today said he invented a lot of his techniques for sound to compensate for the lack of money to buy effects pedals.  The guy was amazing.   The thing I read today also said he was playing in and winning youth piano competitions even though he didn't read music.  He got some drums but figured out his brother played them better than him so he traded the drums for his brother's guitar.

2 hours ago, chadbag said:

One thing I read today said he invented a lot of his techniques for sound to compensate for the lack of money to buy effects pedals.

He thought it was funny that the band's biggest hit "Jump" was him mainly on keyboard rather than guitar. 

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to see these guys live twice, once in the Diamond Dave era, and other in the Van Hagar era.

The second time - early 90s - I came away amazed by what an outstanding guitar player Eddie was, and how he appeared to be having such a good time. Always one of my favorites.

I was not a big rock video person but loved listening to his Guitar and never really watched them. After his passing I went back and looked at a bunch of videos and roth was always sort of in your face, but I guess you had to be vocally and stage wise to even be in the same arena as eddie. But eddie always had that grin of pure enjoyment of what he was doing with the guitar. No strutting or kiss face needed, just play that guitar! Also just sort of flows around playing, not wild motions, it’s like fluid, one with the guitar. It was its own theatrics and the antipode to Roth’s, so I guess balanced out well. Actually really fun to watch.

He left a nice mark in the world. Love that. 

jeff