Kato DD-13 Disassembly

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

I hate to admit it but after several failed attempts to disassemble my Kato DD-13, I cannot figure this out and am hoping I can get some advice on this.

I did several web searches with no luck and my two DD-13s did not come with any disassembly diagrams.  On spookshow.net, he indicates it is simply a matter of pulling the body forward to get it loose.  I can get either end loose but the center cab remains firmly in place and I am afraid I will break it if I am too rough with it.

If anyone can offer advice on this, I would appreciate it.

My DD-13 is in the JNR paint scheme and I am thinking I would start with doing some work on this as a good entry point to detailing and weathering my rolling stock.  This loco will head my nostalgia train so it should be in relatively good condition.  I plan to accent the grills and exhausts, upgrade the couplers, pick out the handrails in white (per the pictures I have found on the net) and give it a matte finish.  And possibly fit in a crew if I can figure out how to get the cab off.

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Tony Galiani

On this model of DD13 you need to first remove the fuel tank.  It has hooks inside that latch onto the cab, I was able to wiggle it off but it took a bit of time.  Then you can remove the cab, then the hoods.  Then the two boxes by the cab slide out rather than up, and then you can lift the walkway off vertically.  The light boards will then slide off, and you can loosen the screws holding the frame together to remove the trucks.  Remove the screws and separate the frame if you'd like to access the motor.  

Hope this was helpful!

20201004_132901.thumb.jpg.341148a21d21a4e4d4259460ba2398b6.jpg20201004_132905_compress86.thumb.jpg.96153cac62c8c8589b45b31afddb824f.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2
Tony Galiani

Thanks - this is very helpful.

Since I couldn't figure out how to do this, and I had not seen these posts yet, I decided to see what I could do on my own.  I started my project by giving the bogies and the fuel tank a coat of clear flat.  With those parts in place on the model, it took quite a bit of time to do a decent job.  Now I can disassemble it and continue.  Though I am going to review that blog first.

Tony Galiani

My DD13 is the 7014-1 and comes apart like the page @Kiha66 posted.  Easy to do on that model.  

As an aside, since we are talking about DD13, tough this is not what the OP was discussing,  it looks like, for DCC, that the TCS K7D4 or Digitrax DN163K4A could be adapted.  The center section may be a tad too wide so a small amount of metal might need to be removed, and one end is longer so some adjustment to light tubes may need to be made.  I compared it to my TCS K7D4 in one of my Swiss Ge II 4/4 and Ge III 4/4 (Glacier Express) but I did not find any unused K7D4 to try it with.

I believe the DCC ready version (7014-#) almost fits the DN163K4A, but the shell is slightly too narrow to fit it.  I haven't tested this myself, if I can find a spare one I'll give it a try.  I heard that NGDCC made a specific decoder for this loco that fits it better.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I believe the DCC ready version (7014-#) almost fits the DN163K4A, but the shell is slightly too narrow to fit it.  I haven't tested this myself, if I can find a spare one I'll give it a try.  I heard that NGDCC made a specific decoder for this loco that fits it better.

I didn't check the shell width.   Maybe I'll have to take one of my TCS K7D4 out of one of my Swiss locos and try to see how it fits.  Or hardwire a small D&H or Zimo one in.

I do believe NGDCC does make a specific decoder.  I was hoping to get the TCS to work so I get RailCom in the locomotive (vs having to have a car with RailCom in the consist).

Tony Galiani

Success!  Thanks for the directions.

I was pretty apprehensive as I find it easier to break things than to take them apart but it worked out.  As noted, getting the fuel tank off was a bit of a challenge but once that was done, the rest was easy.  I have already applied some Tamiya Cockpit Green for the cab interior (though not sure how much that will really show) and can now continue with the rest of the work.  With a little luck, I will successfully complete my first locomotive upgrade by the end of the week.  Wonder if I can find a way to get a driver into the cab .....

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

DD-13 disassembled.jpg

• Like 2

Finally - I have - sort of - completed the work on one of my DD-13s.  In the past, I might have gotten discouraged and not completed this project as I did not have all the parts and skill needed but this time I persevered.  Ganbaru!  (If I am using that term correctly?)

Anyway here are some pictures of the DD-13 as it is now.

What was done:  coat of Tamiya flat over the entire model; Tamiya cockpit green for the cab interior; black on the metal interior seen through the cab window; handrails picked out in white, then slightly distressed to show some peeling (partly by design, partly by accident...); chains picked out in metal color from Tamiya; lights on the end beams picked out to  represent the red lenses; step edges picked out in white; very thinned down grimy black wash on the running deck, steps and by the exhausts:  Tamiya black panel line accent color for the grills, fans, and vents.

What was not done:  new Kato couplers (though they are pending and will be installed when they arrive); windshield wipers (at about 2mm long I was hesitant to try and add them - maybe if/when my skills improve); coupler cut bars (which I have but on this locomotive, every photo I could find shows them behind the end platform railings and I decided adding them would be more stress than fun).

This is (hopefully) going to be the engine to lead my nostalgia freight train so I was aiming for a used but not badly abused look.  While not as good as I might have wanted it to be, I am glad I persevered and brought it to a reasonable level of completion.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

DD-13 side view.jpg

DD-13 overhead front view.jpg

• Like 11

HI Tony,

I have also 2 very old Kato DD13, I find a picture by "spookshow" .  Can I get a picture from the inside of the shell ?  I must replace the lights for the lamps .

My kato version  is 701-705,....... old !!   I think my version is a Con-Cor . The same chassy like Kiha66

Thanks........Rainer

Tony Galiani

I need to pull one of mine apart to take the pictures.   I will plan on doing that over the weekend.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 1

Hi jeff,

yes ! Very cheap !! 

New trucks ( 4 axles ) from Atlas and the lamps 2,2mm x 2,2mm LED in front . The power from the DD13 over electic coupler  / in car with crane and ballast a KSQ2 20mA for the LED.

Rainer

sadly they only ship w.in europe it appears

https://imprintium.de/de/brand/3-p-behnke

But looks like the same guys work on shaleways

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/babmessing/creations

looks like he has it here at finer printing but a lot more expensive.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3S9RXR2AK/1-160-plasser-theurer-08-19-gleisstopfmaschine-db?optionId=165587837&li=user-profile

im a sucker for mow equipment…

jeff