Coca Cola U18A containers

Welshbloke

I'm seeking information on these. When were they used? Would you have seen one or two sprinkled amonst other containers or a complete KoKifull? Have tried a few searches but all I get is press releases about new styles of bottle/can or mentions of the Tomix models.

During my trainspotting days in the Nagoya area from 2015-2018, I don't recall ever seeing a Coca-Cola container being transported. However, a couple of them have been parked at the Nagoya Freight Terminal for several years. Here are some photos from October 2018.

coca_cola_containers_1.thumb.jpg.5ceb7cba5e8cfd776d4c28cd1c99db0a.jpg       coca_cola_containers_2.thumb.jpg.d2293ea35844974776a015491d01a057.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting the impression that they're an 80s/90s thing. Those two in the yard are pretty faded and I can't see Coke's Japanese division paying fees to keep them there if they're not using them, maybe they were sold back to JRF or something?

bikkuri bahn

U18A numbers 31~40 were built by Tokyu Car back in 1993.  Capacity of 20 kiloliters of drink concentrate on a palette per container.  The "Keep Japan Beautiful" is an old advertising slogan from 1970, long since superseded (by "Yes Coke Yes", "I Feel Coke", etc.). Interesting the slogan was re-used here, perhaps to emphasize the environmental angle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/1/2020 at 12:05 AM, Welshbloke said:

Looks like the early days of JRF, KoKi 50000s and I think I can see at least a handful of JNR logos on containers (along with a few JRF blue with stripe).

Yes, I was wondering about these containers. The picture looks like mid to late eighties but if they weren’t made to early/mid nineties, I’m surprised by how much JNR livery still remained.

Edited by Kamome

I wonder if some JNR containers just got a quick patch paint job to remove the lettering and were otherwise untouched until withdrawal? I've seen others which looked distinctly as if they had three squares of paint in the same size/location as the JNR lettering would have been.

It sounds as if a sensible timeframe for them would be something like 1993-2010ish. Might yet grab a couple and a KoKi or KoKiFu 50000, or do some swapping around and load them to my KoKi 250000 instead of the JRF 20'ers it currently carries.

Edited by Welshbloke
Typo

I have them anyway even though they are a little out of period for me.

I like containers that have brands names on the side that are well recognisible. Panasonic Mazda Coca-Cola etc.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2