Kato DD-13 and MicroTrains Couplers

Tony Galiani

I am developing a small fleet of DD-13s and want to convert them to MT couplers.  I know the MT 1028 (short shank) and MT 1029  (medium shank) are the recommended couplers.  The MT 2004 is recommended coupler for body mounting but I do not want to try that at this point.

I just am not sure which of the couplers to use - the short shank or the medium shank.  I am thinking the medium shank might work better on tighter radius curves but am not really sure.

Does anyone have a recommendation for this?  Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

I've converted a Kiha 40 to MT in the past, but I ended up switching to kato 11-702 couplers instead for all of my N scale trains.  They're a lot less troublesome than microtrains in my experience, and much easier and cheaper to swap to.  I believe they are also microtrains compatible as well.  

The main downside is you are unable to use the locomotive to couple to to cars without some pressure, and cant use automatic uncouplers.  However I've never seen those to work well in N scale anyway, so its a compromise I've been happy to live with.

Edited by Kiha66

I‘d just use the knuckle couplers that come with the loco. If you want automatic uncoupling, it can probably modified with that little cable thing, I guess.

Thanks for the info.  I was not aware of the Kato 11-702 couplers so that may we worth a try.  Automatic coupling would be nice but is not my main goal.  I want to improve the appearance of the locos and to make uncoupling a bit easier - I am fine with manual uncoupling on my single track container yard.

I have had my DD-13s for quite some time so they either did not come with the 11-702s or I lost them if they did.  I just cannot remember but I have had them since the turn of the Century!

Cheers,

Tony Galiani