Virtual meetings for the forum?

For members who have not been able to join our Sunday calls, could you please suggest some time that would good for you.  Those of us who do join the Sunday call have some flexibility over the next two weeks due to holidays and we may be able to join at times that would be difficult under normal circumstances.  Let us know!

• Like 4

As  one of the "regulars" on the current biweekly Sunday ZOOM meets, it would be great to also get to visit with our fellow modellers (yes, I know the spelling thing, but I do model Canada, Australia and Scotland as well, so...) across the Pacific and in north and south America. As miyakoji mentioned, we have very flexible schedules right now - especially with the "dead week" between Christmas and New Years when pretty much everything "normal" gets suspended (as if that isn't the case already!). And I'd definitely like to hear from our Southern California Moderator, Kiha66, and see what's happening in the lower part of my own state of California!

Meanwhile, Happy Holidays to everyone! Keep the trains rolling into the new "abnormal" ahead!

Railtunes - Paul Ingraham

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm sorry I keep missing the meetings, I usually plan to attend then it completely slips my mind in the morning, usually I remember right after its over!  Next time I'll certainly be there.

6 hours ago, Railtunes said:

but I do model Canada, Australia and Scotland as well,

Hello Paul, 

What bit of Australian railways are you modelling?

All the best,

Mark.

I have a wide spectrum of time I can attend, but it is different for every week, incl. the holidays.

This Sunday, I'd prefer after 1500 UTC / 1600 CET.

2 hours ago, marknewton said:

My darling wife has set-up a home office, and has Zoom. When's the next meeting?

Cheers,

Mark.

The next scheduled one is Sunday January 3 at 16:00 UTC, but we can do another one that would be better in your local time, please let us know what would good for you.

G'Day, Mark Newton!

First, a quick orientation.

I'm modelling in N scale - all three different ones - a branch line from each of the countries mentioned with certain features I want:

Mountains, Lake/River/Ocean shore, Mainline-Branch junction, Steam-Diesel transition era, Small locos and stock, passenger and goods trains in both full and mixed trains, among others. I'm building in modules with interchangeable structures and scenery units to accommodate the following prototype lines:

Canada: Nakusp Subdivision of Canadian Pacific in southeast British Columbia. Scale 1:160, standard gauge. Signature scene: the rail barge transfer at Rosebery on Slocan Lake, which also functions as a mainline-branchline junction. I'm also doing Innisfail, Alberta, famous for a row of grain elevators.

Scotland: Kyle of Lochalsh on the old Highland / LMS line west out of Inverness to the coast. 1:148 British N scale, standard gauge. Signature scenes: The pier and loco shed at Kyle.

Taiwan: Pingxi branchline northeast of Taipei. Scale: 1:150 Asian N Scale, 1067mm gauge. Signature scene: the town of Shifen with track down the middle of the main street, and the Shifen waterfall on the Keelung River, which the line follows.

Australia: Murwillumbah line in the far Northern Rivers Tweed district just south of the Queensland border. 1:160 scale, standard gauge. Signature scenes: Condong sugar mill (which will also be shared with Taiwan), and Byron Bay for shipping agricultural and other products - including the banana warehouse - using the Kyle Port module with Australian structures.

And Japan, of course, Scale 1:150, 1067mm gauge. I'm focusing on Kyushu and the far south line from Ibusuki to Makurazaki along the coast, the southernmost rail line in Japan. Still researching a signature scene or two there, but will probably be a coastal beach, maybe the Ibusuki hot springs sand beach. I already have a number of Japanese structures from elsewhere: Byodoin, Kinkakuji, Horyu-ji temples - all Fujimi kits, and engine facilities and numerous small structures of all types. Also see my rice paddies posting on this forum.

All those main modeling venues have supporting rolling stock and I also have stock from other European systems, the USA, Mexico, Thailand, with others in the project queue. Interestingly, each of these lines has either been closed (Canada, Australia) or threatened with closure at one or more times (all the others, including Kyushu, currently under threat), but have been reprieved and rejuvenated and are still operating.

I probably should have posted all this sort of information somewhere else in the Forums. Moderators and Administrators, please advise the proper location.

So, to more immediate concerns: Anyone up for a ZOOM meet between Christmas and New Year's? I'm good anytime that week except Saturday, 26 December 9-11 am and Tuesday, 29 December 9am - Noon, Pacific Time (UTC - 8).

Best Holiday Wishes to everyone! And Happy Winter Solstice!

- Railtunes: Paul Ingraham

Edited by Railtunes
spelling
  • Like 2
On 12/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, miyakoji said:

For members who have not been able to join our Sunday calls, could you please suggest some time that would good for you.  Those of us who do join the Sunday call have some flexibility over the next two weeks due to holidays and we may be able to join at times that would be difficult under normal circumstances.  Let us know!

Thank you miyakoji san! 

Sorry i keep missing the meetings too, cause Sunday night (GMT +8 here) seems quite difficult for me to be online... I see that the next date is 3rd Jan, any timing yet? Unfortuantely my timing is always the opposite, night is day and day is night....   😞

5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Thank you miyakoji san! 

Sorry i keep missing the meetings too, cause Sunday night (GMT +8 here) seems quite difficult for me to be online... I see that the next date is 3rd Jan, any timing yet? Unfortuantely my timing is always the opposite, night is day and day is night....   😞

The 3rd January call is the “normal” one.  What we’re trying to do here is have one at a different day/time that would work better for other time zones, like yours for example.  If I’m looking at the maps correctly, you and @marknewton are only 2 hours apart, so maybe something that works for you will work for him as well or vice versa.  Let us know what would be good for you.

I’ve had to do this on work projects with folks strung out around the world. Usually you can only get two of the three regions semi comfortably like we do with americas/Europe now. So asia-pacific/Europe, Asia-pacific/americas, or Europe/americas. Then third can participate but folks have to want to get up early or stay up really late. My super power is I can stay up late, but not get up early!

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I’ve had to do this on work projects with folks strung out around the world. Usually you can only get two of the three regions semi comfortably like we do with americas/Europe now. So asia-pacific/Europe, Asia-pacific/americas, or Europe/americas. Then third can participate but folks have to want to get up early or stay up really late. My super power is I can stay up late, but not get up early!

jeff

I m the opposite😂😂I can get up early but have great difficulty staying up late😂😂probably due to the fact I get up early!! 

• Haha 1
On 12/22/2020 at 3:33 AM, miyakoji said:

The next scheduled one is Sunday January 3 at 16:00 UTC, but we can do another one that would be better in your local time, please let us know what would good for you.

My current roster only goes up to the 2nd of January, so I'm not sure what I'm doing on the the 3rd. 1600 UTC would be 0300 here in Sydney. That's not a problem, I'm a night owl who works permanently on late shifts. 👍

Cheers,

Mark.

On 12/23/2020 at 4:13 AM, miyakoji said:

If I’m looking at the maps correctly, you and @marknewton are only 2 hours apart, so maybe something that works for you will work for him as well or vice versa.

I'm flexible about timing, I've got excess leave I have to clear, and I'm going to use it during the Christmas/New Year period.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:43 AM, cteno4 said:

My super power is I can stay up late, but not get up early!

LOL! That's my super power as well, Jeff. After I left the heritage trains and came back to ETR I swore I'd never do earlies again. 😴

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
On 12/22/2020 at 2:17 PM, Railtunes said:

Australia: Murwillumbah line in the far Northern Rivers Tweed district just south of the Queensland border. 1:160 scale, standard gauge. Signature scenes: Condong sugar mill (which will also be shared with Taiwan), and Byron Bay for shipping agricultural and other products - including the banana warehouse - using the Kyle Port module with Australian structures.

Paul, all your projects are interesting, but particularly your Australian one. When I was a relief traffic officer I worked at Byron Bay a few times. It was a good experience to get out of Sydney and work a country station. Since you mention small stock and short trains, I assume you know about the passenger service between the station and the jetty using the Simplex loco and former Sydney tramcar? And the solar-powered railmotor that runs up there now?

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

We have created a poll to vote for available times for an extra holiday meeting, please PM me to be added to the group PM which has the poll link.

• Thanks 1

Ok we have a holiday JNS zoom set for January 1 at 10p UTC. The link is in the zoom pm. Please pm me if you want to be added to the zoom pm.

The next usual biweekly Sunday zoom is January 3 at 4p UTC.

cheers

jeff

The next usual biweekly Sunday zoom is January 17 at 4p UTC.

pm me if you want the link and I’ll pm it to you just before the meeting.

jeff

Ok we have another JNS zoom March 14 at the usual 4pm UDT time. Please note for US folks with the daylight savings time change it will be 12p est, 9a pst.

jeff

• Like 1

Next zoom is Sunday april 11. Pm me for the zoom link. Updated zoom link for the next couple of months is in the current zoom pm I’ve sent to all those on the zoom list.

cheers

jeff

Zooms can still keep happening if folks want. Next will be Jun 20 at 12p EST (4p UTC). Please pm me if you are interested and Ill put you on the pm list for the zoom link.

cheers

jeff

Next zoom is this sat, July 3 at 12p est. yell if you are not on the zoom pm and I can put you on it to get the zoom link.

cheers

jeff

Next zoom is Sat, July 17 at 12p est. yell if you are not on the zoom pm and I can put you on it to get the zoom link.

hopefully i can attend this time.

jeff