Talking TaKis

Welshbloke

I'm seeking some prototype advice with a view to adding to my Kato HO TaKi 43000s. At present I have four blue and the one-off stainless steel one, which get shuffled around by a JRF DE10 or a "cold weather" DD51 as the mood takes me.

Did the various other colours such as black or green/grey mix with these? I understand they denote different traffic flows. Did TaKi 1000s mix with them? I get the impression that the 43000s are either all retired or on their way out, hence past tense.

I can certainly recall seeing blue and black mixed together.  The kato site shows them mixed, and also offers a set of a mix of colors (including the one-off stainless steel taki) so I think you'd be fine running them together.  

"The Taki 43000 tank car is a tank car exclusively for gasoline. In 1966, Japan Oil Terminal Co., Ltd. was established as a joint investment between JNR and each oil company, and new bases were established in various places including Nishiueda Station. It was developed for the purpose of allocating to trains.
In order to improve transportation efficiency, we have adopted a frameless structure and a tank body with a different diameter body to expand the volume to the utmost limit and realize a load of 43 tons. The external paint color was set to Blue No. 15 (dark blue), which is unusual for a gasoline tank car, for identification purposes. Due to the revision of the tank car structural standards in 1974, production was suspended, but after design changes, production resumed in 1982, and after that, various design changes were repeated to a total of 819 cars. And.
From 1974, Japan Oil Transportation adopted the same format and started to introduce it. The new cars (Taki 243666 ~) belonging to Japan Oil Transportation since 1990 have been painted in emerald green and light gray to change the image.

We will commercialize the Taki 43000 Japan Oil Transportation (black, blue, silver) 8-car set (specially planned product) including the Taki 143645, commonly known as "Silver Taki".
The Taki 43000 is a representative type of tank car that has been in production since 1967. Among them, Taki 143645, which is called "Silver Taki", has a stainless steel tank body and is different from other Taki 43000 equipped with TR215G dolly.
In addition, this set also includes the Taki 43000, which has been transferred to Japan Oil Transportation while still wearing the blue paint of the Japan Oil Terminal era, and only the notation is that of Japan Oil Transportation, and various of the current Taki 43000. You can enjoy various variations."

Translated from https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/taki43000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have seen what appeared to be a mixed train of colours and types, but they were coupled in blocks of a particular type and colour (five blue 43000s, four green/grey 1000s and so on). I'd guess the train was going to drop sections off at various destinations.

I can see mixing them in a train for the same terminal being a potential disaster if someone had an idiot moment and forgot that this was the smaller tanker while filling. Unless the loading facilities have an auto cutoff when a tank is full?