Just For Fun Unitram

bill937ca

not had a N gauge one myself, got a few HO mechs under various corgi trams though, they are ok.

I did a repair long ago on an N gauge one for a friend, seemed to go ok after. 

Hey Tony, that’s only my personal experience with them

Bachman is generally decent stuff and once the dcc was disabled the 2 Peter Witt were superb runners and they re quite heavy which helps

Bachman have been around a long time and you do nt survive if you produce rubbish👍😂😃

I think the brill trolley was just passed its sell by date mate👍😃

• Like 1

I would not buy a Bachmann N-gauge Brill or PCC trolley, especially for the mechanisms. They are toy-like drives, well known for having the axle gears split, which causes them to then jam due to the split messing up the gear-tooth spacing. The originals with the white gears were notorious for this. When the black gear version arrived, it seemed the splitting problem had been solved, but I have had these split as well over the years since. The only Bachmann I recommend in N is the Peter Witt streetcar, which is a quality chassis design that comes with DCC. Note that Bachmann quietly discontinued the PCC and Peter Witt models in 2018 - only 4 liveries of the Brill trolley are still shown in their catalog. All of my Peter Witts have run well on regular DC and Tomix PWM power supplies.

Pauljag900, what sort of tram are you looking for? There are actually quite a few out there, although not the great variety like N-gauge trains...

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Like 1

Hi Rich,

for the time being I m just going to run 2 KATO pocketline trams and concentrate my efforts and finances on constructing the layout itself.

I ll definitely be getting a couple of the Peter Witt as ive had them before.I ve heard that KATO are releasing some new ones at the back end of the year so will see what they come up with.
I ll look in earnest in the new year when the bulk of the layout is complete 👍😀

thanks for the input and advice buddy👍😀

Working on the layout. Setting up some buildings and sidewalks  for evaluation.  I have street furniture, vehicles and figures to add later. About 2/3 of the scene is Japanese (bus, hotel, Unitram track) although it doesn't look it.

IMG_8341 cropped 1024 x768.jpg

IMG_8339 cropped 1024 x768.jpg

• Like 5

So I dismantled the pocket line tram and took it to work for spraying, wow,that’s tiny he said,the following day he brought it back and said his airbrush was broken! I toyed with buying one but I chickened out and ordered two pots of paint yesterday and they arrived this morning,grey primer and ferrari red.

it was a bit fiddly and the masking could have been a bit neater but overall it looks pretty good for a 1st attempt.

62B13ED7-6F27-4099-BA08-5AD75F9BDCD2.thumb.jpeg.4b731992f4e7a1c22c66268318c69c45.jpeg

5F87CDCE-9B46-4F1B-8E2F-4A4A8EFE5EAA.thumb.jpeg.d22656d7d6242e0adb7e0f9c1e13cd3a.jpeg

991B3B6B-7130-4CF3-8A0B-6FFF344E8C05.thumb.jpeg.1f018c2138388d1a6248e13ec91f1dae.jpeg

22A1E635-BE88-43EB-B1D3-2B67C24F1152.thumb.jpeg.c8806edc7dffa32e2c2485ff5f4d494a.jpeg

• Like 5

It’s rained all day so nothing better to do I finished the roads and ground cover on the layout,pity 90% will be covered with buildings.026230AB-9A23-4C89-8F57-F699BC03A5C9.thumb.jpeg.b3e07bee3c5a4d12cf9907bcb499922d.jpeg

50F893CA-DCB7-479F-98E0-39D970316F96.thumb.jpeg.b740d8bd647cbee7f57cc3528c3ff9c6.jpeg

• Like 7

Looking good, gentlemen.  This Tram layout build off is going well, quite inspiring and actually might motivate me to work on something.  Hmmm, maybe we can have T-Trak module build off and then have awards for different categories at the end which members can vote on.

• Like 4
Martijn Meerts

I think I'll just give up, I just spent an hour figuring out in which shape to cut some wood for the helix entry/exit for the shinkansen and express lines. In that same amount of time, Paul has finished an entire layout 😄

(granted, cutting isn't straightforward, there's threaded rods holding up the helix layers that are kinda in the way of the entrance/exit o.O)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Paul you are on fire with  this layout mate really enjoying watching, when all this covid nonsense is over we must have a tram get together..

Edited by Tonytramman
  • Like 1

Thanks Tony,suits me.👍😀

At 61yrs old,house pretty much sorted as we want it,kids all grown up and gone,and at the moment with all the Covid restrictions making it dificult to go anywhere or do anything I ve not a lot else to do with my time once the household chores are done I m afraid,does that make me a saddo?😂😂

To make matters worse my wife got sent home last night with a high temp so has to have a test at 10-30 this morning which also means I have to self isolate until she gets her results at least,so there ll be more getting done this week😂😂👍

Great 👍 I'm 10 years behind you mate 2 out of 3 kids gone lol! Part working from home 1 day a week in the office some grandparent duties so pretty busy! Luckily the kato layout is downstairs so can use it anytime but it goes for periods of inactivity .. I expect more restrictions to be announced this week ... We got a few off work awaiting tests again now, touch wood we are ok but have a strong believe that we are suffering from long covid but time will tell..

Tony

If things do nt improve quickly then I’m convinced we re heading for another period of lockdown mate,it’s the only way.

The big diference is we re better prepared now than we were last time as no one saw it coming!

hey ho for our models mate👍👍😂

Some eBay finds arrived this morning,cars are unknown but the rest are tomytec.

09A86107-30F7-4B25-9238-87306F32EC46.thumb.jpeg.c30a00846c977de8edbc0311d579298d.jpeg

With nothing better to do whilst isolating I set about completing the back row of buildings,there is one more corner building to go on the end which is nt here yet..Glued and fastened together in a row of four I fitted the lights and decorated them up a bit.

B2C1520A-88C5-428D-9680-4C944150CD72.thumb.jpeg.28b37323ad60e7e9e58bb8ab73d9aa82.jpeg

I ve also fitted 8 street lights but wired them in yet.

C5CD9142-FE15-4003-9122-E3068E726B58.thumb.jpeg.8a18b7bb85caeacb728fdad5984aa92a.jpeg

• Like 7

looking good Paul, what did you use for the pavement? is it purchased or did you build it yourself? the little square tiles seem to be a thing in Japan, I am thinking doing some assume they are about 1 mm square ..

Tony

Edited by Tonytramman