Steam Freight Nostalgia Trains?

Tony Galiani

I can find examples of modern steam passenger train excursions but I am wondering if any lines offer nostalgia steam freight trains?  I have seen pictures of these trains run for photographers in Germany and the UK which got me wondering if this happens in Japan.

I am thinking of doing a new small layout project based on a private line - trying to more closely replicate a prototype than my past projects.  I have a couple of potential lines that I would try to replicate a couple of station settings in 1/150 scale.  It would be nice to do more than run a few different KiHas on the line and I would add a few trains that might not be seen on the line - some sort of steam special and maybe a maintenance train.  A nostalgia freight train would be nice to try as well.  While I realize I can run whatever I wish, I am hoping to find some sort of prototype example as a basis.  I would like to try my hand at copying some real examples.  So far my searches (not my biggest skill) are just showing up passenger specials.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

@bill937ca I guess it would also be okay if there was an SL towing modern age KoKi‘s.

Here in Germany it very rarely happens but I think there is one company/line in Eastern Germany that has a few days of SL freight service each year, iirc.

The UK ones are all "demonstration goods trains" on preserved railways now. Sometimes they're for driver experience turns or brake van rides, others are just to add to the atmosphere. A few run photo charters, particularly lines which don't have the capacity to path a goods train amongst passenger traffic during a gala weekend. I've even seen a few running tail loads of a van or two behind a diesel railcar, replicating scenes from the 50s to the early 80s.

Preservation in Japan doesn't seem to include much thought of preserving usable trains. They'll keep a cab car but not a complete three or four car EMU which could come out for a run in future. Museum photos show a handful of freight items but very much in a "telling the story" fashion, for example one museum has a KoKi 50000 with two or three JNR containers loaded, presumably next to older stock to show how freight handling evolved over time.

• Like 1

I don't remember steam towing many vintage freight cars in japan, but I know at one point JR freight pulled a special container train using a C56 a few years ago.  I think it was to celebrate an anniversary at the port of Yokohama?   In the US its more common, and in the 90s there were a few occasions where a deadhead steam move got put on mainline freight due to dispatcher need and creativity.  

• Like 3

Thanks for the info and videos.  I expect I will just use modeller's license to run a nostalgia train if I go ahead with the project.  It might be a fun change of pace to make up a small train of old four wheel cars to contrast with the modern stock.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Maybe someone from JR will take notice and follow suit in 1:1 scale!   Heritage freight trains really help you visualize what railroading was like back in the day, I really enjoy when museums run trains like these. 

If you want a story of steam working more recently than you'd expect...

In 1981 the Western Fuel Company of Bristol had a problem. The diesel shunter they used to shift trains of house coal from the British Rail exchange sidings to their yard on the old harbour railway had broken. Someone had the idea to pop next door to the Industrial Museum, who had a fully functional 0-6-0 tank engine which used to work in Avonmouth Docks. This was the result:

The engine even managed to escape onto the main line for a quick trip up to a nearby depot, in order to use the turntable. 

At this point they were only running loaded trains at high tide, in the hope that the water pressure would prop the sagging retaining wall up. The wall finally collapsed last year and awaits rebuilding so that the railway and footpath can be reopened. While they no longer have a main line connection it's a wonderfully quirky museum experience, standing in the brake van next to their lookout as the engine propels the train along the riverside.

• Like 4
On 9/21/2020 at 7:06 AM, Kiha66 said:

I don't remember steam towing many vintage freight cars in japan, but I know at one point JR freight pulled a special container train using a C56 a few years ago.  I think it was to celebrate an anniversary at the port of Yokohama?

According to the video it was the 50th anniversary of the Kanagawa Rinkai Railway. As nice as the engine looks, you'll notice if you look and listen closely she's not in steam. When the video shows a closeup of the valve motion you can see it's in mid-gear. The sound you hear is air being expelled from the cylinders through the open drain cocks. The diesel on the back is doing all the work. 

Nonetheless, it's good to see an engine that's obviously being well maintained and cared for. And the various freight cars are nicely presented as well. Thanks for posting this video. 

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2
On 9/21/2020 at 6:00 AM, bill937ca said:

Don't think any running freight cars were preserved.  The closest might be the Freight Railway Museum.

That's a nice little collection of freight cars. And the Tobu 4-4-0 - beautiful! 😍 Thanks Bill!

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2