Kato Unitrack #6 T.O. loss of power

Yugamu Tsuki

Besides the M1 Kato set, I also picked up a used #6 turn out. For both manually and electronically I can get the Turn Out to switch with no problem, but whenever my locomotive passes over it it looses power and sometimes one of the middle wheels derails. If I up the speed I can power through it on the straight, but when it turns it comes to a full stop the moment it reaches that section of track. I'm also receiving no current from the off-shot track when the switch should be routing the power there/

I didn't think you needed to provide power to the segment shooting off but I may be wrong. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

turnout.jpg

Use one of your freight or passenger cars and roll it back and forth over the rails. Using your sense of touch locate the problem area.

Remember with N Scale 2mm is one foot. 1mm is 6 inches, .5mm is 3 inches. 

Just imagine what a real train would do rolling over a rail joint 3 inch higher than the other.

Inobu   

Thanks. I picked up a new one and will match it with a multimeter and a pair of pliers over the weekend to check. Maybe a used turnout for my first one ever wasn't a good idea lol...

Is this the #6 single turnout or the crossover (scissors) turnout? The #6 single turnout is the most reliable Kato turnout IMO. But a couple of trains do have a problem with the scissors turnout. I have an Athearn F59PHI that stalls on the frog of the scissors turnout if I have sound on.  It works OK if it fast enough. The sound stops but the momentum carries it forward and the sound picks up again. If I turn off sound, it tends to work well even at slow speeds. Other trains have no problems. I suspect there is a voltage drop somewhere in that turnout's frog that I need to investigate. I have been putting it off in my case as it is only 1 locomotive out of 40.  

It's a single turnout.

I hooked up a test track with the problem turnout and 2 other new ones. I straightened out one of the forks in the problem turnout and it seems to be working better. It's still slow at certain parts if I go at lower speeds but as soon as it passes the problem spots it picks up full voltage again so I am wondering if there is some grim I'm not seeing adding resistance to part of that track. To bolster that theory the more I drove on that line the easier it became.

I just had a similiar problem with one of mine, when i opened it i could use my multimeter and saw that the contact for one of the frog rails was not good. In the end i did put some cleaning agent (my guess was it corroded a bit) and did put in small plastic which is bended to act like a spring, this presses the small leg onto the rail and making better contact. I hope it stays now that way.

• Like 1