D51 by Kato (2016-9)

Christopher_R

Greetings People,

I just aquired the JNR D51 by Kato (2016-9) and really loving it! Truly impressed with it's detailing and running characteristics.

However, there is something which kinda concerns me. The bottom plastic plate which covers the gears to the driving wheels and holds the leading and trailing wheels is rather loose.......the two screws are very much tightened.....and the locomotive itself runs very well as mentioned without any derailment except when backing at a rather high speed (and even that occasionally).

So was wondering if this is normal and just should be left alone.

Thanks in advanced and regards.

That is an odd problem you have there, I checked my D51 and the screws should screw flush with the bottom cover, which should not move around.  There are only two screws, so yours is not missing any.  I would unscrew the two screws with the engine upside down to check that there isnt anything in the screw holes that is causing them to not be able to be tightened fully down, and also so you can check that the bottom plate doesn't have wallowed out screw holes.  Otherwise, I would leave it as the unit doesn't have any running issues so poking around might make more trouble than it fixes.  

I've included a photo of the bottom of my kato D51 for comparison.  Other than the screws flush with the bottom plate, they seem to be about the same.

20200916_182858_compress99.thumb.jpg.c0a9cd54bdd4296c4d65fd4c42104fb3.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 4

@Kiha66 thanks my friend. I did unscrew bottom plate screws and checked the orifices for anything actually stopping the screws from going all the way thru: nothing.

I did screw back on both of them, and the same result, removed them again, and changed the position and the same: both screws are tight but still a slight 'play'. Really worried to tighten further as I'm worried I'll break it.

Now running her, and she is running with no problem. Maybe I should leave it right?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

@Kiha66 and @katoftw sorry to bother you guys again, but I like to know if there is any information about disassembly (and reassembly) of the N Kato D51? Is there any illustrations and videos on it as I would like to know for future maintenance and trouble shooting.

Thanks one more time.

@railsquid, hey, thanks my friend. That's some really good (although frightening) illustrations on disassembly of Kato's steam locomotives.

Tried it! And man was that nerve wrecking! Upto this point I only have experience with N scale/gauge Diesel and electric locomotives and DMUs and EMUs. This is my first steam N scale/gauge.

Thanks once again and best regards.

• Like 1

Speaking of the 2016-9, the art in the steam locomotive starter set instruction manual have it puffing smoke. Any idea which type of smoke generator is most suited with this?

Afaik there aren‘t many steam generators for N scale, Arnold had some made by a company called Seuthe, they still sell a kit and repair broken ones, but I highly doubt they‘ll fit into a Kato SL because it‘s not a tender driven loco and there‘s like 0 space for a generator and tank.

EDIT: Put this through a translator, lots of info regarding that topic.

Edited by roadstar_na6

I would not recommend attempting trying to install smoke units in N scale, and even in HO I would advice caution.  Most locomotives are not made with this in mind, and most attempts I've seen result in a damaged locomotive rather than a nice smoke effect.  I leave smoke to the lionel around my Christmas tree.

Martijn Meerts

Seuthe still has N-scale smoke generators which you put in the smokestack. Of course, it doesn't fit in most smokestacks, and if it does, it requires drilling a hole in the smokestack. On top of that, there's no real reservoir, so smoke will only last for a few minutes before it needs to be filled again. Finally, the smoke looks pretty terrible, more like cigarette smoke from an extra small cigarette rather than steam engine smoke 🙂