Unidentified Emergency Vehicle

Socimi

While watching this nice video, the white van at 2:50 caught my eye:

Looks like a post-facelift model Nissan Caravan, with the standard red lightbar for Japanese emergency vehicles, but except for the Ashikage mark on the front (the chrisantemum/star hybrid simbol of the Japanese Police) it's completely unmarked, and has it's side windows covered by a metal grid.

At first i tought of some sort of a Kidotai unit, but all Kidotai vans are always clearly marked with their light-blue and white livery (wich, by the way, reminds me of our Polizia di Stato one) or the older two-tone gray one.

Could it be a prison transport van? Yet, i did a few searches, and most prison vans in Japan seem to be completely unmarked, without lightbars and police marks, and even if they do, they do not have grills on the side windows.

Searching thru wikipedia commons, i also found this picture of a similar van in a vehicle group during a joint SDF/Armed Kidotai exercise.

Edited by Socimi
1 hour ago, Socimi said:

Looks like a post-facelift model Nissan Caravan, with the standard red lightbar for Japanese emergency vehicles, but except for the Ashikage mark on the front (the chrisantemum/star hybrid simbol of the Japanese Police) it's completely unmarked, and has it's side windows covered by a metal grid.

https://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/ehimepolicecar/diary/202006240000/

Apparently a general purpose personnel carrier from the Japanese police, also used to transport riot cops.

• Thanks 2