3D Printed Buildings ( Old Shougetsu Thread)

Yugamu Tsuki

It's a 3-day weekend for us Stateside so I took it upon myself to dust off my 3D printer and Fusion 360 to try to make at least one of the buildings I'm planning on. I'm starting with the Shougetsu Cafe in Numazu, Shizuoka, a quaint little seaside cafe where on clear days you can see Mt. Fuji across the bay.  What always struck me about this building was the way the roof line cut into the various walls which will help to add flavor to a layout. 

Shougetsu via the one and only Google Maps

Since I'm using a cheaper printer and PLA, some of the more intricate details are causing me issues (mostly caused by me wanting to print in as few separate parts as possible. At the end of the day though it's another puzzle to solve. I would  love to model the brick walls to print out but that may be inviting disaster so not I'm trying to figure out how to paint it without taking hours.

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6855.jpg

Edited by Yugamu Tsuki
More General Thread change
  • Like 4

I'm doing it by eye and comparing to N scale items I have to make sure it looks right. This is actually my 3rd version of it after tinkering around with the heights and depth for some time.

• Like 2

Nice work! I’ve watching how well the extrusion printers work for doing structures. Most details outside of brickwork are not so fine. do the surface details work better if you print walls horizontally? Surprised how well it printed vertically. How does the printer deal with spanning the tops of doorways and windows? Does it stair step some and then you square it up later?

for that bright brickwork you might look at just wrapping it with printed brickwork on paper. Some of the patterns or commercially available papers really pop nicely and you would not see the mortar relief at n scale even at your eyeball anyway. Getting brick and mortar to look nice at n scale is toug and the brick ends up loosing a lot of that visual texture on the brick itself like shop has.

cheers,

jeff

Thank you, Jeff. I originally was thinking doing multiple pieces horizontal but I also was to test the limitations of my Ender printer. I always used to do horizontal until I printed someone's shelving unit which had huge gaps with no supports and that inspired me to start making some projects like these vertically.  Currently I have straight edges at the doors and windows with no arches or stair steps and just needs to use a file to clean up some of the junk before it fully catches on.

My local store has some paper/plastic brick and wall sheets I'll need to look through to see if they have anything useful. As you mentioned, N scale is a bit of an ordeal to find though since by me HO is the most popular gauge they sell.

I'm about to print off a new version and that should be done in about 8-9 hours (.05 mm layer height, 100% infill, ironing flat surfaces). I'll post pictures before I clean it up with a file and after I clean it. I am including a hidden channel and a ceiling with holes where I can install a lighting system later on as well as having hang down cabinets for the back or the shop.

Cool, I wondered if cooling strands would end up spanning and then starting the base for the top frame. Expect some textures may do better horizontally.

there are some free brick patterns out on the web you can scale print. Many for free. Scalescenes.com has some nice pdfs at about $3 ea with detail bits already made up to clip from.

https://scalescenes.com/scratchbuilders-yard/

evans designs has a papercraft modeling program for buildings that comes with a lot of building textures and you could build your own skins. But isn’t free...

https://evandesigns.com/collections/modeling-software

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing the progress, I’ve been playing with my printer, but I’m still having some stringing problem. Creating a brick surface in fusion is a pain as it looks like you have to create bricks individually.

Keith

Keith- Yes indeed. I'm using an old dinosaur of a laptop I intended only for paying bills online. My last ambitious project was a multipart mask with LED screen where you can see through the screen if you wear it. In order to make it one-direction-see-through I had to create something with a very tiny grid of cut-outs and each time I even just opened that file my computer would take half an hour to think about it (thus my aversion to printing anything with detailed patterns). If I were to go that route I'd probably use Blender, but Blender sometimes has issues with accurate dimensions while printing.

Below is my next version before and after some clean-up. Stringing is indeed an issue but I'll sand it down in a final version so it won't be as noticeable. Still having issues with with door but - hey - at least it printed this time. Adding the kick plates to help hold the frame in place seems to have worked so I should just thicken it up a bit and it will be good. The long curved bar piece is actually the display counter so while I could have printed it directly attached to the base, I want to use some clear PLA for the finished version.

Now to make the roof, outdoor sign, fix the doors, find where I put my rasp...

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

• Like 4

That came out nice! Love the idea of recesses for leds and wiring. Always an issue of a chase way in buildings to run the wiring and having to plaster an led to the ceiling with some sort of reflector backing drops the light down from the ceiling some and can be too visible.

jeff

• Like 1
Yugamu Tsuki

Done with this (sans adding plants in the flowerbed and equipping with lights). I had to redo the brick and floors a few times until I felt happy with them. I can always add acrylic windows and posters around the shop but unsure if that will actually add anything or not.

Currently painting the tofu shop Keith shared now.

IMG_7496.jpg

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

• Like 5

Changed the Subject title for general 3D print building.

Just finished the tofu shop. I had a ton of problems on my print (mainly the square room part was hollow so I have to make a false cap so my Ender3 Pro was having issues). The painting was super delightful however. The rendered bricks made filling in the mortar a breeze. It went quicker than I though (only painted it this afternoon). I did mine up based on the source material but the beauty of that building is it can be done up like any shop.

IMG_7508.jpg

• Like 6