Anyone Used Code 55

Kanpai Keith

Hi Guys 

just curious to know if anyone has ran Japanese N scale on code 55 track and what you’re thoughts and experiences are.

cheers

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Yes, we used a combination of code 55 and 80 on our club's old Japanese layout (55 around the front of the layout). We had a combination of Kato, Tomix and Micro Ace stock, all of which ran perfectly well over the track and points.

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to operate a small Japanese themed loco depot layout built with Peco code 55 track.  It was very well done and all the steam engines - Kato, MicroAce and Tomix all ran faultlessly on it.  The workmanship was excellent so I suppose that has a lot to do with it but I think the Peco code 55 track works very well with Japanese stock.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

My static "layout" uses Peco code 55, not had any issues with any trains that weren't caused by the trains themselves. 

• Like 2

I use Atlas code 55 track on my TT scale layout which also gets used for testing or running my Japanese N scale. Mixed reviews. newer stock runs well mostly although issues with frogs on some points causing  locos to hesitate slightly. I think the frog guide rails are not deep enough or its too tight for wheelsets between guides. My older Japanese stock tends to run on the plastic sleepers with their  wheels. The Atlas track looks very nice , but is quite delicate. The Peco code 55 is the same base as their code 80 track, but the rails are set deeper in the plastic and it has more strength

• Like 2

Here is a link to youtube videos of a layout built using Peco code 55 track:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr65vBXrInv78IeBj8JmMLA

And here is a blog about a layout which was also constructed using that track:  https://takusama2100.blog.fc2.com/

These look pretty good to me.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

I don't have any curved turnouts myself, I try to not use them if at all possible. I've had too many issues with the ones from Minitrix and Fleischmann. Then again, the Peco turnouts are of higher quality in general, so there's a good chance they will work just fine.

• Like 1

Reading in this thread below, PhilipS seems pretty adamant that Code 80 is necessary. Is he being over cautious about the need for high rails? Is this only for running old Lima trains with giant flanges? It seems that everyone here has no problems with code 55. Am I missing something?

Maybe he is thinking about what would connect easily to the Kato track?  Code 80 to Code 80.  I know from experience that the Peco Code 55 can manage deep flanges but don't know have much effort would it would be to connect Peco Code 55 to Unitrack.  Though I think I remember seeing posts about doing just that.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

Connecting code 80 to other code 80 is obviously easier, and purely for the looks, it might be weird to change between code 80 and code 55. It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it's quite noticeable. As for the Peco code 55, that's essentially code 80 with the lower section molded into the sleepers. The major advantages of this is that it's a lot sturdier than pretty much all other track, and it connects up to code 80 easily as well.

Also, coming back to the curved turnouts, I now have 2 Peco curved turnouts in 'operation'. I've not tested any shinkansen on them, because the turnouts are part of a local line which has some relatively sharp curves, but so far I've not had any issues with the trains I've tried (GG1, GS4, EF58, VSE50000, JNR 151, BR 103, BR E.10. Also ran Shiki800 and Shiki810 through them, so far without issues, but more testing will be needed.

Also, something to keep in mind, at the moment it's hard to get Peco track. Due to Covid, the Peco factory has been closed for a period of time so there was no production at all. That combined with model trains becoming more popular again (also due to Covid) means they're having a hard time keeping up. I've had some turnouts on backorder for several months now.

• Thanks 1

I currently have a small test layout set up with some Minitrix curved turnouts (which came with a starter set I purchased from Germany).  Most of my stock runs through these turnouts without problems:  various Kihas, Kokis, other four axle freight wagons and DD-13s.  Oddly enough, the only rolling stock that does not work on the curved turnouts are my Kato Remus.  They always derail when entering the turnout.  Looking in the forum archives, I have read about other issues with these - I think they are too light to track well.  At some point I will try adding some weight to see if that helps.

The Minitrix turnouts don't seem to be as good as the Peco turnouts.  They have a relatively long plastic frog and I am not sure 4 axle locomotives would work well with them.  Peco would likely be the better option if/when they are available.

The Minitrix are also Code 80, not Code 55.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Edited by Tony Galiani
Left out information.
  • Thanks 1
On 12/28/2020 at 12:40 AM, gavino200 said:

Thanks guys. I ordered a few strips of Peco code 55 flex track to experiment with. 

how did it go?

i trying to experiment as well with code 55 seems no problem even with old tomix stocks

curious with code 40 as well