Jump to content
BigBoy4018

C57 Locomotive Maintenance

Recommended Posts

BigBoy4018

I'm not exactly doubtful that anyone else has had this recurring issue with their locomotives, nonetheless a steam locomotive, but I suppose I'll try my hand here.

 

In 2018, I bought a TOMIX steam locomotive off of eBay— The engine was, before it arrived in my possession, brand new, and ran smoothly for the following year after its purchase.

 

In late 2019, I noticed the engine was slightly rocking along the track, and decided to investigate the issue further; at first glance, it appeared that the rails were simply not level and flat, causing it to bob side-to-side. Now, with flat and level track, the engine has a noticeable rocking motion at about 45 - 50% power on the throttle (KATO Standard Power Pack throttle).

 

The locomotive in question is the TOMIX 2004 J.R. Steam Locomotive Type C57 (C57 1), and I hope to find answers to help fix this issue so the locomotive can run smoothly at the next local area model train show, whenever it may be.

TOMIX 2004 C57-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
BigBoy4018
13 hours ago, katoftw said:

Take a video. Rocking means?

I can't upload a video of the issue here, but if you go to the 4:45 mark on this video, you'll see the rocking motion I'm talking about.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Ochanomizu

Hello,

 

I didn't notice anything, but if it is rocking it could be one of a number of things: bad pick-up, just the way the loco handles curves, poor alignment of coupling rods, sticking gears, worn motor, flanges climbing the rails ... some of these can be eliminated if it happens on straight track.

Share this post


Link to post
marknewton

I'd be checking the traction tyre or tyres to see if they're damaged or out of round.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag

@BigBoy4018   Thnis developed over time, right?  When you first got it, in a curve it didn't wobble back and forth but developed this condition later?

Share this post


Link to post
BigBoy4018
9 hours ago, marknewton said:

I'd be checking the traction tyre or tyres to see if they're damaged or out of round.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark.

Hi Mark,

 

I've already checked the traction tires on the drive wheels— none damaged or out of round, yet the rocking motion still happens.

 

Big Boy

Share this post


Link to post
BigBoy4018
16 hours ago, Ochanomizu said:

Hello,

 

I didn't notice anything, but if it is rocking it could be one of a number of things: bad pick-up, just the way the loco handles curves, poor alignment of coupling rods, sticking gears, worn motor, flanges climbing the rails ... some of these can be eliminated if it happens on straight track.

Hello Ochanomizu,

 

The locomotive has excellent pickups, as well as wonderful handling of curves, points, and straights. I've done an inspection and haven't found anything wrong with the coupling rods, and I've checked the wheel flanges on the rails; no climbing, but I'll look into the worn motor for sure.

 

Big Boy

Share this post


Link to post
BigBoy4018
4 hours ago, chadbag said:

@BigBoy4018   Thnis developed over time, right?  When you first got it, in a curve it didn't wobble back and forth but developed this condition later?

@chadbag This has developed over time— after the first year of ownership, it rocked slightly, but then corrected itself. Since then, the rocking has been predominant.

 

Big Boy

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

I’m with Mark I would suspect the traction tires first as they are very big and the steamer tires tend to flatten or get squished into a lump at point at times. Some Folks have noticed this when using a lot of cleaner on the track that softens the traction tires some. Steamer driver tires are so big you notice any changes a lot more than a DMU or emu.
 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
BigBoy4018
4 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I’m with Mark I would suspect the traction tires first as they are very big and the steamer tires tend to flatten or get squished into a lump at point at times. Some Folks have noticed this when using a lot of cleaner on the track that softens the traction tires some. Steamer driver tires are so big you notice any changes a lot more than a DMU or emu.
 

jeff

Jeff,

 

Are there any remedies to this issue? The back two axles on the drive wheels have the traction tires.

 

Big Boy

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Two options for traction tires is to get new ones from Tomix, but tracking spare parts like this can be hit or miss. The other option is bullfrog snot. It’s a thick polymer you paint into the traction tire groove and with slow rotation it rounds out and sets up. Do a google search on it as it’s been used on lots of steamers as you dont have to dismantle things to get the traction tire on. I’ve not yet tried it, one of our club members got some but we need to give it a try.

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...