Jump to content
Kanpai Keith

Your Experiences of Importing into the U.K.

Recommended Posts

cteno4

Nice customs is prepaid! Does that get you out of the extra customs duty collection “fees” on delivery? That would be nice!

 

amazon’s DHL shipping (at least to the us) almost always goes up a little with each additional item, but it’s base price is significantly lower than the hobby shops DHL agreements. It’s also cheaper DHL with really big items. It’s worked well on the few dozen I’ve done over the years. Use to use it for books as if you bought a pile you could get the shipping down to like 400¥ a book, but doesn’t work that way any longer. I usually just get something there if it’s ridiculously low priced or not available elsewhere and anything else I get from regular shops to support them as much as possible.

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
bill937ca

Customs prepaid means the seller has been backed into a corner by the government  to collect taxes on sales outside their country.  Ebay does that on orders to Caanda.

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag
50 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Nice customs is prepaid! Does that get you out of the extra customs duty collection “fees” on delivery? That would be nice!

 

amazon’s DHL shipping (at least to the us) almost always goes up a little with each additional item, but it’s base price is significantly lower than the hobby shops DHL agreements. It’s also cheaper DHL with really big items. It’s worked well on the few dozen I’ve done over the years. Use to use it for books as if you bought a pile you could get the shipping down to like 400¥ a book, but doesn’t work that way any longer. I usually just get something there if it’s ridiculously low priced or not available elsewhere and anything else I get from regular shops to support them as much as possible.

 

 

 

The weird thing about the DHL from Japan Amazon is that it is not consistent.  I've had single book case train sets cost 1700 yen and I've had them cost 4000 yen.  I think they get the weight/size details in their database wrong and so their auto system messes up.

 

I sent in a support request to them asking about it once but got a canned answer that was unrelated to the question and gave up.

 

All in all the DHL from Amazon Japan is relatively inexpensive (at least to the US).

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Yep I realize customs paid means you always have to pay the duty (no slipping by sometimes) but I was wondering about the extra “fee” that is added in some countries like the Uk by the final delivery service for the customs handling and duty collection (I think it’s parcelforce in the uk usually). That seems to be the real hit at times on smaller packages, like £10.

 

btw large companies (ebay, Amazon, etc) in the us are now enforcing and collecting out of state us sales taxes. 
 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
bill937ca

You only see one figure. I imagine its there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
disturbman

The prepaid customs is Amazon's big draw for me. I also often have the impression that their shipping rate is relatively lower than other sellers (perhaps due to their ability to provide a higher set amount of business to DHL). As @chadbag noted, shipping rates skyrocket when pre-ordering, with shipping being calculated at a good double than the usual rate. Don't know why. I thought perhaps rates where updated at release, I tried once, but I paid the infamous 3000 to 4000 JPY instead of the normal rate.

In Germany, you don't pay the extra handling fee that the posts makes you pay for cheaper options when using Amazon.jp.

Edited by disturbman

Share this post


Link to post
roadstar_na6
30 minutes ago, disturbman said:

In Germany, you don't pay the extra handling fee that the posts makes you pay for cheaper options when using Amazon.jp.


Ah that‘s good to know, so it’s just EUSt to pay and no additional fee for them?

I registered my address as a self-customs-declarer since the customs office on my way to work and I‘m not paying 6€ for something I didn‘t ask Deutsche Post to do for me, but so far they ignored it and I had to pay those 6€ only to later ask them to send it back to me - which they surprisingly always did, after giving them the evidence that I‘m registered as self declaring 😄

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag
1 hour ago, disturbman said:

The prepaid customs is Amazon's big draw for me. I also often have the impression that their shipping rate is relatively lower than other sellers (perhaps due to their ability to provide a higher set amount of business to DHL). As @chadbag noted, shipping rates skyrocket when pre-ordering, with shipping being calculated at a good double than the usual rate. Don't know why. I thought perhaps rates where updated at release, I tried once, but I paid the infamous 3000 to 4000 JPY instead of the normal rate.
 

 

It is not even on pre-orders only.  I've had pre-orders at 4000 yen and ones at 1700 yen, and in-stock ones the same general.

 

I am pretty sure it is just bad data entry or forgotten data (so it assume some default) when the item is put into their database.  One interesting thing is that when a train item is first entered, it may not be available for international shipment right away.  Each item is reviewed and updated in their database as being available for international shipment once "approved."   Their system needs to make sure it passes all customs and other rules.   That is basically what they told me when I asked why certain trains were not available for shipment internationally, and their system was giving the canned excuse about export laws needing to be followed.  Sure enough, with days, or at most a week or two, the items were available for international delivery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
disturbman
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:


Ah that‘s good to know, so it’s just EUSt to pay and no additional fee for them?


Never had to.
 

28 minutes ago, chadbag said:

 

It is not even on pre-orders only.  I've had pre-orders at 4000 yen and ones at 1700 yen, and in-stock ones the same general.

 

I am pretty sure it is just bad data entry or forgotten data (so it assume some default) when the item is put into their database.  One interesting thing is that when a train item is first entered, it may not be available for international shipment right away.  Each item is reviewed and updated in their database as being available for international shipment once "approved."   Their system needs to make sure it passes all customs and other rules.   That is basically what they told me when I asked why certain trains were not available for shipment internationally, and their system was giving the canned excuse about export laws needing to be followed.  Sure enough, with days, or at most a week or two, the items were available for international delivery.


I see, I only had the issue when pre-ordering.

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice

Kinda obvious that pre-cleared customs on packages does not incur any additional fee for custom clearing the package....

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Not always some systems try to get the fees where ever they can without you trying to side step it. I’m always a bit fascinated by this seeing it done so many different ways in different places. There was some odd customs fees that I got tacked onto equipment coming from Overseas for a project a long time back and I used FedEx as the customs agent to expedite things (Suggested by manufacturer due to experiences they had had). FedEx said they were processing fees they had to pay customs and passing them along to me. So some fees get added in bycustoms to the customs agent even though they are doing the customs work essentially.

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice

That depends on:

  • Does the country of the seller have a customs treaty with the country where the buyer is located (and do said goods fall under this customs treaty)
  • Does the shipping service offer pre-clearance, and does the seller have a contract with the shipping service about that.
  • Has the seller/pre-customs clearance correctly declared the contents in case a special screening has taken place (this seems to occur a lot with "unusual" goods, or goods where it is suspected that it is not legitimate, is under a particular quota etc.)

If the answer to any of the above is no, then you pay extra (unless you clear it yourself ofc)

Edited by Yavianice

Share this post


Link to post
Kanpai Keith

The only postage option was about ¥2000 (29th Sept estimated) and all fees, taxes etc  paid up front.


 

Share this post


Link to post
marknewton
On 9/18/2020 at 5:12 AM, chadbag said:

I wonder if Mark's DHL issue is an outlier in Australia or something that happens often in Australia.  

 

I've had exactly 1 DHL, out of a whole lot, here in the US, get misdirected and take a few extra days to show up.

 

Did Mark get that unfortunate outlier or is Australia more likely to have issues with the local distribution?


I've given up trying to make sense of how DHL works in Australia. I had a parcel that was sent two days later than the one I've been waiting on, delivered before it. On Sunday afternoon of all times! The parcel I've been waiting on, after sitting in limbo since last Thursday, arrived without warning this morning. So who knows what  they're doing with their local distribution.

 

But to be fair, my parcels do eventually arrive, I haven't had anything turn up damaged, and the couriers themselves have been polite  and helpful. So I suppose I'll put up with DHL's quirks until EMS is available again.

 

All the best,

 

Mark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kanpai Keith

Just had confirmation from Amazon JP that my goodies have been dispatched and another from DHL telling me they will be here next week. 😃😃😃

Edited by Kanpai Keith
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Kanpai Keith

Ordered on Sunday evening GMT arrive 1pm Thursday despite having to re-pay for it on Monday due to my CC company throwing a wobbly.

 

Not a fan of choosing Amazon over small independent companies, but it was easy and fast.  All customs fees taken care of up front.  You see and understand what I was ordering and that it was in stock.

 

Happy times.
 

F4F51B24-8CBB-4DFD-A8D1-ADB35E76C96B.jpeg.0aaef86d27b0a45643fcedf09888d089.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...