Kato '9600' 2-8-0

westfalen

No? Anyone had the boiler shell off one? I've been studying it for a couple of days and only removed the smokebox, is there a trick to getting the shell off without breaking anything. Some Kato engines are like a Chinese puzzle, you remove one part and everything else just falls apart.

Martijn Meerts

My 9600 is from MicroAce, but I haven't been able to figure out how to open that one up either... The Tomix C57 is another one that'll probably take me a while ;)

My 9600 is from MicroAce, but I haven't been able to figure out how to open that one up either... The Tomix C57 is another one that'll probably take me a while ;)

I have a Micro-Ace 9600, the red one, the shell came off by prying apart gently in front of the cab and lifting it up and forward, actually, the cab is a seperate piece as I found out. I installed a TCS Z2 decoder in the boiler and a small surface mount LED for the headlight. If I figure out how to get the Kato apart and get a decoder in I'll post how I did it.

post-218-13569923467456_thumb.jpg

My 9600 is also a MicroAce. And like you, I've tried but with no success to open it.

I found 1 screw, but nothing move.

And I have a similar problem with my C62 from Kato, even with the instructions from the Kato Site.

My 9600 is also a MicroAce. And like you, I've tried but with no success to open it.

I found 1 screw, but nothing move.

And I have a similar problem with my C62 from Kato, even with the instructions from the Kato Site.

The only thing holding on the Micro Ace 9600 shell, on mine at least, are the small dimples on each side visible just above the rear driver in my photo in the above post.

Hi :  

This site shows how to dismantle Kato steam locos

http://www.5a.biglobe.ne/jp/~toyoyasu/tap1.htm

Tried a few times, can't get the link to work.

Finally got it. This is the corrected link.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/tap1.htm

When I looked at it I realised I had been on it before but lost the bookmark when I got a new computer, the site is a goldmine of info on Japanese N scale steam. Thanks.

As I was surfing around I also found this guy who put a Micro-Tsunami sound decoder in one!!

http://nscaleweatherer.blog73.fc2.com/blog-category-20.html

Apologies for not getting the link 100% correct. I put in one too many / . 

It is an excellent site. The author has all ready converted a new Tomix C57 to a C55!!!