Trenord regional train derails near Milan (Again)

Socimi

According to the initial reports, the train, formed by rebuilt Piano Ribassato coaches push/pulled by an E464 electric locomotive, started to move on it's own without nobody on board, and after travelling about 6km (from Paderno to Carnate stations) it was deliberately derailed by a signaller (wich sent it on a dead-end track) to prevent a worse accident.

The train had arrived at it's designated terminus of Paderno station at 11:39 (as regional train No.10767) and after a brief stopover it was supposed to return back to Milano Porta Garibaldi Station at 12.22.

Informations are still scarce, but given the circumstances, the driving crew probably did not apply the handbrakes during the stopover (nor on the locomotive, nor on the carriages) or the handbrake failed altogheter.

On board there was only a 49-year old man travelling in the second-to-last carriage. He sustained only light injuries.

Four of the piano ribassato carriages (including a cab car - the train was travelling with the locomotive at the back) have sustained serious damage, and will be probably scrapped.

Initial report and first theories on ferrovie.info (italian-language railway "online-newspaper").

The point of the derailment can be seen here - the train had started to move from Paderno-Robbiate station, about 6Km to the north.

• Sad 1

Glad there were no serious injuries or deaths.  Skimming the ferrovie links, I don't see anything that looks like speed.  Have you seen any estimates on how fast it was going?  The cars are stacked up a bit.  If they aren't scrapped they can get a fresh coat of paint over that graffiti.

If there's no air in the brakepipe, then pulling the passenger emergency won't make any difference.

Cheers,

Mark.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, miyakoji said:

Glad there were no serious injuries or deaths.  Skimming the ferrovie links, I don't see anything that looks like speed.  Have you seen any estimates on how fast it was going?  The cars are stacked up a bit.  If they aren't scrapped they can get a fresh coat of paint over that graffiti.

It has already been decided that the four leading cars will be scrapped, as their bogeys and bodyshells are actually quite seriously damaged.

Source

On 8/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, cteno4 said:

I wonder if the poor chap was aware he was on a ghost train ride? 

jeff

On 8/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

If yes then why didn‘t he pull the emergency brake?

On 8/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, marknewton said:

If there's no air in the brakepipe, then pulling the passenger emergency won't make any difference.

Cheers,

Mark.

He must atleast have noticed that something was wrong, as, apparently, the train was travelling with all of it's doors open.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this guy was more bothered to make a facebook live video about the train travelling with the doors open rather than pulling the emergency brake.

Given the average commuter on Trenord's trains, i wonder if he even knew where the emergency brake was or how to use it.

I mean, there's people that have been commuting for 20+ years and still do not know that to open the doors of an MDVC-type carriage you have to wait for the red light to turn on before pulling the handle (depsite being written almost evrywhere in any language!).

Sometimes i wonder if our railways carry just braindead people only...

In other news, yesterday, at Brescia station, another similar train (E464 + seven piano ribassato) had an eerily similar fault to the Carnate train's one:

After arriving at their terminus of Brescia (locomotive in front), the train crew dumped all the air from the brakepipe (by putting the brake lever in the "emergency" position - as per railway regulation), but as soon as they applied the handbrake (wich on E464 and piano ribassato cab cars is done by pressing the "parking" button - the actual handbrake is applied electrically), the compressors activated instead and the brakes released, with the train starting to slide.

They made an emergency braking and took the train out of service for verification, but according to Trenord, no fault was found.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1