Cyclist

mr_bananies

I know that Hobby search has a few small packs of cyclist without bikes but is there a place with a bulk pack so I could populate the bikes on my layout?

Oh i wasn't clear enough. I'm looking for the figures to put on the bikes. Not the bikes. I already have a ton of just bikes. That's why I'm looking for cyclist.

I think it might be hard to find separate figures to fit bikes.

I think both Kato and Tomix have a few figures on bikes.  I think there might also be some n-scale figures on bikes from European makers.

I purchased some of these 3D printed figures on Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/product/4GTNRUJ3V/8-city-bikes-n-1-160 and painted them.  It's a time consuming paint job, and I use a microscope to do it. I think the end result is good.  (ignore the small piece of card stock used to hold them upright)

ShapewaysRailNScaleFemaleBiker.jpg.42430d753da88c2e62088004c5e52815.jpg

ShapewaysRailNScaleMaleBiker.jpg.f2f5111360fea7807ee3657f70a585c7.jpg

Edited by maihama eki
  • Thanks 1

Sorry my bad reading that backwards late at night! I’m dyslexic and sometimes I read short things and my brain inverts the content like that...

yeah I think I only have seen one of the euro companies make just cyclists. It may have been merten but they are no longer.

seems like they should be inexpensive to 3D print. I would say contact the guy and ask if you could get cyclists only but the $24 for 10 bikes and 2 cyclists is pretty high. I’m kind of surprised there are not more figures, but I guess it’s very fine printing and thus a lot of testing to get right, but once you do it’s little plastic/volume! Poser should be great to make the 3D forms. Painting is a pain and you cna get food and quick at it but it just take practice (I spent a couple of years in the evening as a kid painting 25mm figures to make money, you get fast when paid by the piece!)

The Tomytec were the best and least expensive at about $1.25 per bike and rider. Sadly they are oop right now.

you can have your own little bike club scene or a little race with this! And more reasonable price. I think I may have to pic up a set for a scene somewhere!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F6R9YEY2Q/1-160-road-cycling-bikes-set101?optionId=64484202&li=marketplace

cheers

ffej

I don't recall ever coming across separate cyclist figures.  Preiser sells some riders on bikes at their usual outrageously high prices.

im pretty sure they were merten and you got cyclist and bike separate. ill look thru the old merten box, i have dozens of old sets i got very cheap at a close out sale a decade plus back and they were long oop then!

jeff

I'm going to look into shape ways. I'm intrigued that you can by bikes by themselves but not people to put on them. Will keep y'all posted.

1 hour ago, mr_bananies said:

I'm going to look into shape ways. I'm intrigued that you can by bikes by themselves but not people to put on them. Will keep y'all posted.

Bikes without riders are very useful.  At least for Japanese and Euro layouts -- always big bike parking lots near the train stations / Hauptbahnhof with tons of bikes parked.

10 hours ago, chadbag said:

Bikes without riders are very useful.  At least for Japanese and Euro layouts -- always big bike parking lots near the train stations / Hauptbahnhof with tons of bikes parked.

It would really depend which European country we are talking about. Bikes are ever presents in the Netherlands and Denmark. Not so much in France or Italy, for example.

Though things probably changed a lot in the non-bike friendly countries since the advent of bike sharing. 12-15 years ago, biking in Paris was almost inconceivable.

Might try the boiling water bath on some of the cheap architectural figures, they may bend enough to do some cyclists. I’ll give it a whack. I’ve bent legs to be stepping up and a few arms but not tried to contort one to a cyclist pose...

jeff

2 hours ago, disturbman said:

It would really depend which European country we are talking about. Bikes are ever presents in the Netherlands and Denmark. Not so much in France or Italy, for example.

Though things probably changed a lot in the non-bike friendly countries since the advent of bike sharing. 12-15 years ago, biking in Paris was almost inconceivable.

My experience was in Germany and surrounding, so I'll defer to your experience in other countries.  When I lived in Germany and rode a bike every day we always left our bikes at the train station with a zillion other ones.

Japan is similar from what I've observed and what y wife told me from when she was a bit younger and a young adult there working, going to school, etc.

Yeah i want to have some bikes lying around for sure. I bought a bunch of bike and scooter kits and some of them look great compared to prefab bikes. I really want to have some scooters swerving through traffic.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Might try the boiling water bath on some of the cheap architectural figures, they may bend enough to do some cyclists. I’ll give it a whack. I’ve bent legs to be stepping up and a few arms but not tried to contort one to a cyclist pose...

jeff

I would chop and glue.  I've reposed many a styrene figure to fit into vehicles.  The trusty #16 blade for the XActo works wonders.  Chop out a wedge at any point to be bent: waist, knees or elbows, then glue back together.