Station throat and spacing

Kiran

More planning for the layout. I am planning an urban station with 6/7/8 platforms and 1 through track. I have a throat made temporary to see how this works. Photo is attached but I can also try and explain. I hope the Orientation of the photo is correct. I am assuming that the throat starts at the bottom of the picture.

There is a double track main line which is at the bottom of the photo.

Platform 1: This is the left most platform and is planned as a 1-sided platform. From the left track of the main line, there is a #6 left turnout, 3 64mm straights and a 481 curve. The plan is to reduce the track spacing between the track for platform 1 and track for platform 2 to 25mm. I think using the 481 curve seems to accomplish that.

Platform 2: Second one from the left. Planned to be an island platform with platform 3. From the left track of main line, there is a #6 turnout, followed by 1 64mm straight and a 718 curve. Spacing between track for platform 2 and platform 1 is planned to be 25mm.

Platform 3: This is the left track of the main line. Forms an island platform with platform 2.

Through track: This is the right side track of the main line. No platform here.

Platform 4: Track immediately to the right of the through track. From the right track of the main line (which is also the through track), there is a Kato #4 turnout followed by a 481 curve. This will also form an island platform with Platform 5. Spacing between the through track and platform 4 is 33mm because I couldn't figure out a way to get it down to 25mm.

Platform 5: Forms an island platform with platform 4 and is to the right of platform 4. From the right side track of main line, there is a #6 turnout, followed by 3 64mm straights and a 718 curve.

Platform 6: One sided platform which is the right most platform in the picture. From the main line, there is a #6 turnout, followed by 4 64mm straights and then a 481 curve. using the 481 curve seems to bring the spacing between track for platform 6 and platform 5 down to 25mm.

I haven't decided what I will do with platforms 7 and 8. Most likely they will be branch line platforms.

Any thoughts on what I can do better? For 1 thing, I don't think platform 6 spacing is right. I am trying to save a little bit of space but cutting down the track spacing to 25mm. It might be odd to have some parts of the station with 25mm spacing and other parts with 33mm spacing. I wonder if there will be any side swiping with longer (shinkansen/ICE4) cars.

Station entrance.jpg

• Like 1