Green Car Lighting

SuperAzusa

I've noticed that many modellers give their Green cars warmer lighting compared to the rest of the consist.

I'm sure this is protoypical, however try as I might I have been unable to find any reading, documentation, guidance, ANYTHING, on this particular subject. Much like my efforts to find a MOHA 650-8 body.

Can anyone give me a brief run down on Green car lighting, especially where I can go to find out if my train series (E351, 651, E259, N700A etc) in particular should have warmer lighting for their green cars?

(also, if anyone can tell me how to give my capacitor-equipped Popondetta LEDs a more orange hue? Their "light bulb" coloured LEDs are so yellow I thought I'd ended up with yellow-white LEDs in the wrong box.)

I usually:

• Look on the (japanese) wikipedia page to see what the color looks like in each car
  • Look up night time/dark/underground videos on youtube of the train running and determine what color fits with which car.

Not only Green cars, some consist also features full warm lighting interior, like most resort or cruise trains~ The Hayabusa and Nozomi are also full warm lighting... Like Yavianice had suggested, i do recommend watching on youtune also to see which light to install on your intended trains... 

Generally, warm lighting applies when:

1) Green or Grand class cars 

2) Resort, cruise, sleeping, some limited express etc.

3) Hayabusa, Nozomi, Mizuho & Kagayaki (i think?) 

Cheers lads. My darling wife (who speaks the lingo) suggested adding the kanji 夜 after whatever series I'm searching for on Youtube, and it works!

651系 - Green car has warm lighting. Standard cars have white fluorescent lighting with a very faint yellow hue. (I think)

E351系 - Green car has warm lighting. Standard cars ditto the 651系.

E259系 - Green car has warm lighting. Standard cars have white fluorescent lighting with a very faint blue hue?

E353系 - Green car has warm lighting, but the rest of the consist makes it look like a plain white. Standard cars have white fluorescent lighting with a blue hue.

N700A - All cars have warm lighting, no difference between Green and Standard.

Lastly:

SL Yamaguchi - All cars have warm, bulb coloured lighting, which matches the Popondetta Bulb coloured LED strip that is on Hobby Search's website, expect the same Popondetta LEDs that I ordered are really REALLY yellow. Enough to make me think initially that I got the wrong box, or that there had been some packaging mistake. Anyone else got experience with the Popondetta LEDs? Do they match the promotional image below:

image.thumb.png.89b71c9275defe0eaed56126eca08a07.png

• Like 4
6 hours ago, SuperAzusa said:

Anyone else got experience with the Popondetta LEDs? Do they match the promotional image below:

They're great! There are two modes which you can choose, the low power mode (on the left) and the high power mode (on the right). They do match the colours shown on the image, and some of them come with power chargers which enables flicker free lighting even though the tracks are dirty! You can see the light on even after removing the train from the track which is pretty neat ~ 

Only down side is it is rather expensive, like almost 700+ yen per piece... 

@JR 500系Do you have any Light Bulb coloured (電球色) ones? What are they like compared to the promo image? My ones (1522) are so yellow, with no reddish or orangish hue at all that I though I ended up with a pack of yellow-whites (黄白色) by mistake.

Edited by SuperAzusa
tag added
On 8/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, SuperAzusa said:

@JR 500系Do you have any Light Bulb coloured (電球色) ones? What are they like compared to the promo image? My ones (1522) are so yellow, with no reddish or orangish hue at all that I though I ended up with a pack of yellow-whites (黄白色) by mistake.

Yes i do~ I attached them to my Seven Stars of Kyushu ~

1225788699_7stars.thumb.jpg.8531d82ca9bbd04eef42764771fb4bfc.jpg

It actually looks pretty orange to me... but i dont mind as the warm lighting really sets the atmosphere of a nice luxury cruise train ~

Huh, that is definitely a different colour from MY "light bulb" LEDs.

1090335686_popondettayellow.thumb.jpg.1d80df0b712c061b417c1d3d573d9f27.jpg

I think I might have been sold a lemon. I'll contact the seller.

On 8/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, JR 500系 said:

Yes i do~ I attached them to my Seven Stars of Kyushu ~

It actually looks pretty orange to me... but i dont mind as the warm lighting really sets the atmosphere of a nice luxury cruise train ~

@JR 500系 Can you pop off the body of one of those cars so I can see what colour the LEDs are directly? The "manufacturer" is saying that what I purchased *is* the correct "light bulb colour".

On 8/23/2020 at 4:52 PM, SuperAzusa said:

@JR 500系 Can you pop off the body of one of those cars so I can see what colour the LEDs are directly? The "manufacturer" is saying that what I purchased *is* the correct "light bulb colour".

20200825_201157.thumb.jpg.fb1dc429fa382845d489a0e44d182f3b.jpg

20200825_201213.thumb.jpg.ba99442b8cf13dfaa3d2c5732009e6d2.jpg

20200825_201321.thumb.jpg.2ea859ad8eb87666dee0c5697340b36d.jpg

20200825_201532.thumb.jpg.3cd2477468687e691338791db2ddd516.jpg

It looks orange-yellow to me ~ 

However, i DO have to apologize... i THOUGHT i had all popondetta lights in my seven stars... ended up it wasnt what i thought!

On 8/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, JR 500系 said:

I took a closer look and discover that the end carriage, shown above, is actually using a KATO light.... 

My bad, sorry for the confusion! Time to change ALL to popondetta lights... (except to find where they are installed in now...)

• Like 1

@JR 500系 How curious! Your first picture shows the LEDs having a warmer, more orange temperature than mine (looking at the reflection in the tabletop), and yet the 3rd picture shows them as having that (probably) identical, very yellow hue that I was complaining my LEDs had.

I'm thinking that the colour of the interior has a big impact on what the temperature of the lighting looks like. So I'm satisfied that what I bought isn't a lemon (despite being the colour of one), even though I don't think it matches the temps shown in the promo image earlier in the thread (see my post on 17th August). I think I'll try experimenting with coloured cellophane to get the temps I want.

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, SuperAzusa said:

I'm thinking that the colour of the interior has a big impact on what the temperature of the lighting looks like.

this is very true as the light is mostly reflected off the interior surfaces. You can monkey with the color of the light like this in buildings by putting down different colored floors.

Jeff