How to make a 1:150 Micro RC Car

railsquid

Claude_Dreyfus

Very impressive. I also admire the fact he is able to fix everything down in exactly the right place first time, without sticking stuff to his fingers or constantly fiddling around to get them to fit properly! Makes it look easy...which it clearly isn't. I like the use of the O rings for tires.

That is stunning.

8 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Very impressive. I also admire the fact he is able to fix everything down in exactly the right place first time, without sticking stuff to his fingers or constantly fiddling around to get them to fit properly! Makes it look easy...which it clearly isn't. I like the use of the O rings for tires.

Well, we haven't seen how long each scene took or how long the blooper reel is.

My first thought was that it would take an awful lot of operators to move street traffic on the layout.  Second thought, a grand prix race might be more feasible.
: 3

• Like 1

Awesome sauce! Really nice work! Of course he got everything perfect the first time! Was an impressive production. Beats the r/c vw bus of a decade ago. Love the whole worm driven steering mech, nice and smooth. All arduino driven to boot. Next gen will need sensors to be self driven, waymo at 1/150!

i have a bag of o rings to use as tires just as he did for those ubiquitous piles of 4 tires you see in parts of japan sitting beside the house.

jeff

maihama eki

Impressive skills in so many disciplines.  I'm in awe.  Many of those pieces are sooooo tiny.

The homemade micro lathe and his ability to turn the wheels on it would have been enough to knock my socks off.

11 hours ago, railsquid said:

with steering and remote control...

Truly amazing. Wondering if you know any story behind this. Who the guy is? What his dayjob is? Commissioned job or labor of love?

Quick and easy mini lathe is just use your rototool. Clamp it to the bench and your stock in the chuck and then use xacto knife as a chisel to turn what you want. I’ve done n scale flower pots and a few wine glasses (well closer to goblet size) in n scale. Quite fun. Not a huge number of things to make though...

jeff

11 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Not a huge number of things to make though...

jeff

Why don't you just make one of these cars? Quick and easy, right? 🤣

8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Truly amazing. Wondering if you know any story behind this. Who the guy is? What his dayjob is? Commissioned job or labor of love?

No idea beyond what's in the description on the youtube page. I presume it's all his own work.

Hahah you beat me to posting this video, squid! It was simply amazing!

Now here's another, slightly bigger, but with lights ~

• Like 3
9 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Why don't you just make one of these cars? Quick and easy, right? 🤣

sorry I was referring to the stuff you can make with the micro turning for scenery bits are easy and simple to go at — Like goblets and flower pots or tires! 

the cars are a totally different thing! 

I was amazed how clean and simple his engineering is, well thought out and very space efficient. I was amazed at how well he had just what was needed no more no less. 

the cool thing is that This shows the bits to do all the tomytec/faller bus will fit into an n scale auto now with limo batteries and the tiny motors. Steering mech can be simpler for wire following and no control circuitry needed. Only issue is clearance under the chassis for the magnetic steering guide.

jeff

• Like 1
9 hours ago, cteno4 said:

sorry I was referring to the stuff you can make with the micro turning for scenery bits are easy and simple to go at — Like goblets and flower pots or tires! 

the cars are a totally different thing! 

Yeah, that was clear. I was just being a smart ass.

Might be a tad involved for first timers Jeff. I'll see if I get any takers. 😉

A fella needs 40 or 50 of these, automated and driving around a layout. Stopping for red lights, trains, pedestrians, etc.

• Like 1

Hey the advanced course! 

would be a cool shop thing like big slot car tracks but have a city scene you have to drive thru and stop for signals, train tracks and the such but be on a timed course!

jeff

11 hours ago, tossedman said:

This is amazing!

Hi Todd i merged the similar topics together ~ The making of this RC car is truly remarkable! 

Hi bill937ca , i merged your post as it was previously shared by railsquid at the top of the thread. 

It's a great video by the way! Magnificant work on getting such a small car to be a RC car!!

• Like 1

This guy is back with another vehicle conversion. This time the car follows a wire in the road, but is otherwise remote controlled.

• Like 5

Wow that's crazy small! Great job. I'd be flinging those tiny parts all across the room, never to be seen again. And, I'm not sure how they kept track of the wiring, it's all the same colour.

Todd