Kato DX controller (DC) advice

Hi all, 

Looking at buying a new controller for my DC pop out Kato layouts, I think the Kato DX twin controller looks pretty good.

Anyone got experience with it or any other good quality controllers you could recommend?

Would love to go DCC but not ready for that move until I move into a house with the space, so DC for the near future.

Guy

If you intend to do DC only temporarily, why not buy some cheap (used) controllers from KATO (the S or SX) instead of an expensive DX model?

2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

If you intend to do DC only temporarily, why not buy some cheap (used) controllers from KATO (the S or SX) instead of an expensive DX model?

I feel like I need you on speed dial Yavianice lol, you know everything!

I moved across country two years ago into a small flat, probably won’t be looking to move to a house for a good few years yet so space (and the dream of a permanent layout) is on hold for a while.

cant imagine my other half would be thrilled at my whipping out a soldering iron and trying to hardwire DCC decoders etc 🤣

Guy

I would first consider what kind of trains you want to run. If for example you want to run it with interior light, then the SX (or any PWM) power pack is better. If you don't care about that and want as much compatibility as possible (because some decoders/DCC trains don't like the PWM functionality of the SX, and trains with bulb lights are not recommended in the manual of the SX) get some cheapo S power packs which pop up on ebay every now and then. Or you can just get any old power pack for N gauge (max 12V) and hook it up to the track; it doesn't need to be KATO. 

And, I am on the JNS Discord if you quickly want to chat/ask something. 

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1

Sound advice, really appreciate it mate 👍 I’ll have a look on eBay for an S pack as most of my trains have been retrofitted with lights. 

I have the older Hyper D controllers. They have some nice features but the output is more geared for HO gauge than N, although you can use it for both. The documentation states it’s designed for double- headed and fully lit trains as it has a 2A output. It was designed at a time when many of the preinstalled lights on Kato stock used bulbs instead of LEDs.

It’s not a twin controller as such, but has a main and sub track output with a single speed controller. This is meant for track plans such as those with reversing loops. So that you can switch the polarity of one of the sections whilst the train is navigating the other. The speed of the train stays consistent through the transition.48F4177E-8513-4CB8-BE1F-9DEF0AA97EFB.thumb.jpeg.62b062995f56bc75be19eccfa2504125.jpegThe image is Google translated from the manual.

It works well with the Kato turntable as that also has to be isolated from the rest of the layout and would normally need a separate controller.

One issue with the 2A output is when you’re changing from one line to another(from one controller to another)

you get a sudden rise and fall of speed as each coach bridges the circuit from one 2A supply to the next.This is not hugely noticeable with HO as the motors need more power to turn, but with N gauge, it’s very noticeable. 

• Like 2

Ahhh ok I get the DX controller now, expensive considering it’s not for twin track control. SX controller it is then!