MOHA650-8 - Not available as ASSY part?

SuperAzusa

I'm searching for a particular ASSY part - the body shell for car number #9 (MOHA 650-8) of the 651 Series Super Hitachi (KATO 10-1585).

image.thumb.png.20fccefa8b76b63a1b6b7b9d12794699.png

However, looking at the included paperwork with the set, on KATO's website and 1999.jp, it seems that for some reason, none of the body shells for the 4 car set are available as ASSY parts. This, I thought, is highly unusual, as typically you can get ASSY parts/bodies for any car in a given rake. But MOHA-650-8 is an impossibility, it seems. There is also no luck to be had on Yahoo auctions.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is there any way I can get an extra MOHA 650-8 body without repurchasing the entire 4 car set?

Very odd. There is, as you say, no part numbers for the 4 car set at all. Checking the Kato online shop, they too have no option other than the Moha 650-101 for car 2 available. As the car number is so small, this may be your only option. 

I have the older version 10-173/10-174  and checking the included paperwork, it’s the same whereby there’s no listing for body shells for the 4 car set other than the cab ends. 

Edited by Kamome

If MOHA 650-8 did exist as an ASSY part, I'm guessing it would have "4187-3" as part of it's part number.

image.thumb.png.b8b7778f88d0368df5814d847f94433e.png

So KATO have probably given this body shell an ASSY part number, but just not released it, ever, in the shops?

I might try to contact the UK distributor, Gaugemaster, and see if they can help. But if anyone else has any ideas, I'll gladly take them.

It's worth asking retailers in Japan, such as MTP or RG-R also.

It could be limited to the Kato shop in Tokyo only, or some kind of internal number for reference (e.g. if you send it in for warranty purposes), rather than being an Assy part for sale. In that case, you are out of luck it seems. 

5 hours ago, Yavianice said:

It's worth asking retailers in Japan, such as MTP or RG-R also.

I've sent Rail Gallery Rokko a message on facebook. I also messaged MTP via their website but that was a while ago and no response (but I know he's closed down his shop again so he's probably busy.)

RG-R couldn't help sadly. Looks like it's gonna have to be a trip to Hobby Centre KATO to see if I can find it there. Can I contact them beforehand when I'm in-country? For our next Japan trip we'll be based in Kansai, so I wouldn't want to make the trip to Tokyo just to find that they won't sell it to me.

I never contacted them but of course there is a phone number on Google.

Though if you are going to Japan anyway, I would try visiting all Hobbyland Pochi stores in the neighborhood to see if they sell a loose replacement car instead for cheap. There are several in Kansai. My link below shows several if you need GPS coordinates/Google maps locations.

If you’ll be in Japan, Hobbyland Pochi and  Tam Tam might also be worth looking at amongst others. They tend to have loose cars and bits and the ones around Tokyo would have more local interest cars and parts. As the Hitachi runs from Ueno to Sendai it would be more likely in Kanto rather than Kansai, so to speak. My local Pochi has a lot of Kyushu based broken up sets for example. 

Hobby Centre Kato don’t have a general enquiry email address that I could see on their website but instead have a phone number. They do have an online feedback form so that may be a good way to start some dialogue if needed.