Jump to content

Kato part numbers


Kanpai Keith

Recommended Posts

Kanpai Keith

Hi Guys,

 

I’m taking the plunge with Kato.  I’m going to buy a few individual packs of track to get me rolling.

 

Does anyone know the part numbers for R249 45 degree curves, the 248mm straights, feeder track  (62mm I think) and 62mm straight all with concrete ties.

 

Also what connector does the feeder track have?

 

thank you 

Edited by Kanpai Keith
Added
Link to post
Kanpai Keith

Thanks guys.  No wonder I was having trouble, Kato doesn’t actually produce that much track with concrete ties...... looks to be mostly wooden.

 

Is Tomix better in that respect?

Link to post

Tomix is way better for track piece variety.

 

They have c243-45-pc s280-pc s70-pc etc etc.

 

An tomix feeder will attach to both curves and straights. You can get side feeder or under feeder (hidden) like kato.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Kanpai Keith
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Tomix is way better for track piece variety.

 

They have c243-45-pc s280-pc s70-pc etc etc.

 

An tomix feeder will attach to both curves and straights. You can get side feeder or under feeder (hidden) like kato.

 


I keep getting draw back to Tomix, but the availability in the UK is nonexistent.  Looking at the way the power connects to the track, is there a noticeable “slot” on pretty much each piece of Tomix track?

Link to post

Yup, pretty much all of the concrete ties track has these gaps.

 

Faller used to import TOMIX track for Europe but virtually stopped it because there was no demand. So the only realistic way is to import everything from Japan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 hours ago, Kanpai Keith said:


I keep getting draw back to Tomix, but the availability in the UK is nonexistent.  Looking at the way the power connects to the track, is there a noticeable “slot” on pretty much each piece of Tomix track?

Zero availability in oz also. But if you want concrete ties and a flexible track system. It is the way to go.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Das Steinkopf
10 hours ago, katoftw said:

Zero availability in oz also. But if you want concrete ties and a flexible track system. It is the way to go.

 Tomix Fine Track is available in Oz now as Hobbyco aka Robbyco is the Australian importer for Tomix/Tomytec now, that said it is still far cheaper to purchase it from Japan than what it is Australia as Robbyco certainly lives up to its name.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1
Link to post
Kanpai Keith

OK, now have a few items from Tomix in my basket from Plaza Japan.  Before I hit the button does anyone have any codes that can be used for this store.  Also if I didn’t select postage it wasn’t added at checkout, is it free postage otherwise?

 

Cheers.

Link to post

On ebay with covid I would contact plaza japan first on the shipping options and items you want. Usually they have a per item Sal price listed for each item (a little on the high side for sal but I can’t remember if they are now using registered Sal) and sometimes only EMS if it’s an expensive item and they don’t want to risk Sal. They will then combine the shipping of multiple items into a much more reasonable total shipping cost than the per item cost.

 

now on ebay they are using DHL only to ship and quite expensive per item (minimum for DHL is $20-25 depending on your contract with DHL). Usually it doesn’t start rising for a while fast with DHL on weight so adding more items not so bad.

 

are you looking on their website or their ebay store?

 

might also look at hobbysearch as their DHL seems to be at a lower $20 starting price. you can put stuff in your cart and start the checkout to see what the shipping costs will be. Model trains plus also has DHL. Right now DHL and FedEx are the safe way to ship. While EMS is working to some places it’s reliant on passenger jets and thus very spotty if available at all.

 

jeff

 

 

Link to post
8 hours ago, Kanpai Keith said:

 Also if I didn’t select postage it wasn’t added at checkout, is it free postage otherwise?

 Plaza Japan is DHL only.  Minimum shipping is $24.00.  Postal shipping from Japan to the US  and many other countries is suspended 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Kanpai Keith
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

 Plaza Japan is DHL only.  Minimum shipping is $24.00.  Postal shipping from Japan to the US  and many other countries is suspended 

They’re showing they use Japan Post and started delivery to Europe in July 😉

Link to post
Kanpai Keith
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Plaza Japan is uber expensive. Only buy from them when all other options are exhausted.

I’m finding them cheaper than 1999.  Any other recommendations?

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Kanpai Keith said:

I’m finding them cheaper than 1999.  Any other recommendations?

 

Just for comparisons sake, I quickly looked at the price of TOMIX 98077. Plaza Japan sells it for 125 euro. Hobbysearch 1999 sells it for 101 euro. AmiAmi asks 87,32 euro. RG-Rokko sells it for 87,42 euro. 

 

Plaza Japan seems to have quite a markup.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
Link to post
roadstar_na6

Another comparison here:

PlazaJapan‘s price for Kato 10-1589 is ~£140

RG-Rokko‘s price is ~£115.

 

Edited by roadstar_na6
Removed screen shots
Link to post

Plaza is usually near retail. One exception usually is truck sets, many times plaza has the cheapest price including sal shipping in the past. Always odd...

 

jeff

Link to post
3 hours ago, Kanpai Keith said:

I’m finding them cheaper than 1999.  Any other recommendations?

 

Yes, my recommendation is that you value the advice of people in your country who have bought from a variety of vendors. It would certainly help de-confuse our discussions here if people would include their location in their profiles. I gather that you are in the U.K., so if that is the case the experience of people in Australia, Germany, Canada, the USA, etc. will not be relevant to you. I live in the USA, and for me Plaza Japan is the reference price I use when shopping, because they are often the least expensive, in my case. I buy a lot of Tomix and Tomytec, and in my case no one is cheaper on Tomytec power chassis than Plaza Japan. From where I live, they look very competitive on track prices, too. But I don't have to deal with U.K. customs, postal force and all that you have to deal with. I'm sure things are totally different in Australia and the EU, too.

 

I made a post a few weeks back about how to deal with Plaza Japan and its presently-required DHL shipping. What you see indicated on Ebay, even for combined shipping, is not what the real shipping cost is with DHL. Read the Plaza Japan listings carefully: they say to put items in a cart, and then ask them what the actual shipping cost would be. For me, 1 Tomytec chassis was indicated at US$24 shipping, with each one thereafter adding US$12, totaling US$60 indicated for shipping 5 chassis. When I put them in a cart and requested an actual shipping total, the response from PJ was US$24, same as 1 chassis! I probably could have added 1 or more additional chassis, and still been within the US$24-sized shipping carton. So if you're looking to buy things like track, keep the shipping costs low by placing larger orders, but keeping carton-size jump points (which are also cost jump points) in mind.

 

Rich K.

 

 

Link to post
Kanpai Keith
21 minutes ago, brill27mcb said:

the reference price I use when shopping, because they are often the least expensive, in my case. I buy a lot of Tomix and Tomytec, and in my case no one is cheaper on Tomytec power chassis than Plaza Japan. From where I live, they look very competitive on track prices,

 

4 hours ago, Yavianice said:

 

Just for comparisons sake, I quickly looked at the price of TOMIX 98077. Plaza Japan sells it for 125 euro. Hobbysearch 1999 sells it for 101 euro. AmiAmi asks 87,32 euro. RG-Rokko sells it for 87,42 euro. 

 

Plaza Japan seems to have quite a markup.

Thanks I’ll check them out. 🙂

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...