Tomix KIHA40-1700

Kiran

8 hours ago, Kiran said:

I am currently fascinated by shorter trains and this one peaked my interest. Does anyone know how hard this would be to convert to DCC? I can live without sound if I have to.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10415965

I have not seen this one but in general Tomix require a wired in decoder.  

To my knowledge TOMIX has only made one DCC+sound train in N gauge, namely the Twilight Mizukaze (which you can't buy). 

I don't know of any TOMIX train that is DCC ready. All of them need soldering or wiring.

It should be possible, although I believe you'd have to drill holes in the floor and the decoder would be visible inside.  Lighting is more tricky, I haven't played around much with tomix boards but iirc they are all SMDs on a single pcb, so it would take some work to get the head and tail lights working.  

Martijn Meerts

It really depends on how comfortable you are with a soldering iron. I rarely come across a train where I find a decoder install is difficult, especially with the newer decoders which are really small.

You will need 2 decoders though, unless you want to try to install some sort of powered coupler that can transfer the DCC signal form the motorised car to the non-motorised one. The light boards you'll very likely need to adjust, usually this only involves cutting some of the copper traces and soldering wires for the lights onto the light board.